Bean and Barley Soup

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Things have been busier than ever preparing for this storm! Hurricane Sandy is on its way and Mike and I have temporarily moved in with my parents for the duration. We are hoping that it passes through our area with little destruction, but just in case, we have been busy helping my dad with the generator and preparing the house in case we lose power for an extended period of time. Hope everyone stays safe in this crazy weather!

Last Sunday, we made a trip down to my parents' house to visit and watch the Ravens game. I was pretty excited about making apple pie and my grandmother's bean and barley soup that day. Both turned out really well and were perfect for the chilly weather.

I was also really proud of myself because I made the crust for the pie from scratch! Something I had never done by myself before. It probably wasn't as pretty as it could have been but it tasted divine. I usually don't have the patience to make my own crust and typically buy the pre-made ones that come in a box. I have to say that I will probably never use a box crust again. The homemade version turned out to be so flaky and buttery and delicious that it would be just wrong not to make my own from now on! It really wasn't that hard either. I was pretty surprised. I mean, if I'm taking the time out to make a pie instead of just buying one, why not make the crust yourself?

Here is a photo of the finished product.


I loved using my mom's Pampered Chef Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer. (Yes, that's what they named it.)

It makes these perfect little apple rings and it's so fast. I am definitely asking for one for Christmas this year! Yep, that's my mom modeling the sliced apple. 

Okay, so on to the main topic: Bean and Barley Soup!

The recipe, like I said, is my grandmother's and most ingredients don't actually have any exact measurements. It states to add as much of each of the ingredients as your family likes. If there is an ingredient that you like more than the others, add extra of that.

For the first part, my mom and I have always used a leftover frozen ham bone. Whenever we buy a ham (say for Easter) we save the bone with all the delicious little ham pieces for this soup. Just be careful of the bones when you serve! You can also use ham steaks instead.

Ingredients

Ham steaks or left over ham bone
Water
Onions
Parsley
Celery
Navy beans
Barley
Carrots
Potatoes
Salt
Pepper

To make the soup, put the ham bone and pieces of ham in a pot of water. Make sure there is enough water to cover the ham. Cover and let it cook for about 45 minutes. Add chopped onion, chopped celery, parsley, and about 1 cup of navy beans. Add more beans if the ham bone is large and there is quite a bit of ham. After this cooks for about 1 hour, add 1/2 cup of barley and diced carrots. Cook the soup until the beans are soft. Last of all, add cubed potatoes and cook until the potatoes are tender. Season with salt and pepper.


This is a super easy soup and really good on a cold day. Can't wait to make it again! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment