Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

I am SO incredibly excited for Thanksgiving tomorrow! I can't wait for the festivities to begin!

Our plans for Thanksgiving haven't really changed much since Mike and I started dating. My parents even joined in on the fun last year and are planning to tag along with us again tomorrow. Typically, I used to go with my parents up to Pennsylvania or down to Florida to visit family on Thanksgiving. We would spend the whole weekend there and enjoy spending time with our distant relatives but it was never consistent. We always did something different every year so we never really had any traditions for this holiday. Only once every few years would we have Thanksgiving dinner at home. Christmas is a really big holiday for us and it's full of traditions, so that probably had something to do with it. Last year, my parents didn't have any plans on Thanksgiving and so they came over to join us for dinner with Mike's family. Their family has a pretty cool Thanksgiving tradition.

Every year - and apparently this has been going on for a very long time - Mike's Mom's side of the family gathers at the Whittaker household (both Grammy and Kathy's homes since they are on the same big property) for the entire weekend. They typically use the time to work on projects around Grammy's house. Since most of her children and their families live out of state, they stay to help out with things she needs. Of course, they don't work the whole time, but they do all kinds of things from raking leaves and cleaning gutters to chopping wood and fixing leaks.

The weekend usually starts on Thanksgiving morning with the community Turkey Trot! Last year, people even dressed up. It was pretty funny. The course is about three miles long and Mike and his cousin Shea are very competitive runners so it's always fun to see who beats who. It's also nice to see some of the neighbors and catch up. I, of course, sat in the car cheering everyone on and drinking hot chocolate with Kathy last year. This year, Kathy decided to start a new tradition called the Whittaker Waddle for those of us who don't want to or can't run a 5K. This race will take place after the Trot and will likely include most of the family - even though a lot of them also run the 5K. I thought I would be able to participate but unfortunately, I have to leave after the Turkey Trot to help my Mom at her house with some cooking for dinner. We are bringing mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, and a special holiday dessert. I like to make something different for people to try. Last year I made these cute little turkeys out of cookies and candy corn.


They were so much fun to make! This year, I'm doing something much simpler and less time consuming. (The turkey cookies took FOREVER!) I am going to head back to my Mom's house to help do the cooking and baking and then come over at 3:00 with my parents and our dishes to hang out before dinner.

After dinner, we usually stay up late playing games and stuffing ourselves with dessert. The game playing is a big part of any Whittaker holiday or get-together. The quirky and hilarious answers everyone comes up with playing Scattergories or Taboo are all part of what makes it fun.  It's also really nice to relax and have all of the family around. I can't wait!

I hope that everyone enjoys their time off and has a wonderful Thanksgiving! I'll be sure to post pictures of ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment