Thanksgiving

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Happy belated Thanksgiving! I hope that everyone had a fun and turkey-filled day!

The whole Thanksgiving weekend was probably the most fun and relaxation I've had in a while. Our plans changed a little bit on the morning of but we try not to sweat the small stuff over the holidays. We found out the night before that the turkey trot was not happening. For some reason, the advertisements they usually have on the community board were not posted. Despite this disappointing news, Mike still made his way down to Annapolis early in order to race his cousin, Shea.


They didn't make it a competitive race and ended up just sort of running together. I met the family later that morning and enjoyed hanging out with everyone before the major cooking and setting up began.


I also bought these awesome soy candles from Katie! She makes them herself and they smell heavenly. She has an Etsy site if you want to check them out!


It was a gorgeous day and I love how Grammy's house is situated looking right over the river. We started setting up the china and silver on the table and it was so pretty to look out and see such a gorgeous view.


After everyone had cleaned up and I ran out to get everyone some Starbucks as a pick-me-up, we started the family photos!


We started getting settled for dinner once the sun was setting. It is always so much fun to see the family all gathered together at Grammy's. Her house is full of history and charm. The walls are lined with items from all throughout her life and it is so fascinating just to spend some time admiring all that she and her family have done. The house is filled with all kinds of treasures - old pictures of her and Grumpsy (Mike's grandfather), an old map of their community, their "Mayflower Connection" family tree, and many other neat things. You can learn a lot about the Whittakers just by examining those walls. This was such a special Thanksgiving and I tried hard to soak up every minute. It was even nicer that my parents were coming over. I love having everyone together in one place. I just wish I could see my extended family a little more often.


It's really hard to see but these are pictures of some of the things I described. The family tree, photos and other things. Sorry for the terribly low lighting and iPhone grainy-ness!


We sat down to dinner and had a wonderful feast! We had turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, lots of delicious veggies and these awesome rolls that Katherine and Leigh had made. They rolled up pieces of parchment paper inside each roll that had messages printed on them about what everyone was thankful for. It was kind of cool to pull them out and read them as we were eating dinner and try to guess whose note was whose.


After dinner, instead of playing games, we cleaned up and a few of us sat around and listened to Grammy tell stories. She told us about living in Baltimore before she had kids and stories from her childhood. It is always so extraordinary to me that she can remember every single name, date, and detail about things that happened 70 years ago or more. I hope that I have a memory that clear if I get to be her age!


We enjoyed lots of delicious pie as well! We had a couple pumpkin pies, a pecan pie and apple pie. I also made little apple pie leaves. I was unable to find a leaf shaped cookie cutter since all of the stores got rid of the fall decor right after Halloween. Instead, I used a snowflake and cut off the bottom part. I couldn't tell you what kind of leaves they were but they were pretty tasty! All of the dessert was delicious. It is by far my favorite part of Thanksgiving!


We were all pretty beat after the dessert and so we went off to bed. We saved the game playing for the next night. Over the next couple of days, we all got to work. The main tasks were outside this year. The guys worked on splitting all of the wood from the tree that fell during the hurricane while the ladies took over the wood stacking and leaves.

 Wood pile number one!
 
First part of wood pile number two!
 There was a huge hole inside the tree that John cut down. It was a pretty big tree!

That evening after a delicious dinner, we sat around and played games. This year we got into a new version of Scattergories called Scattergories Categories. It was a blast! It's always funny to me how many ridiculous and hilarious things happen during these game nights that, most of the time, have nothing to do with the game at all. Whether it be something that Grammy will say or a story someone will remember or maybe even something that a dog will do right in the middle of the floor for all to see when everyone is trying to focus on coming up with an answer for a Dessert beginning with the letter "P." (Heehee, poor Princess.) These are the best times and ones I will never forget.


The next day, we worked again stacking more of the wood and decorating the house for Christmas. When we were decorating, we found some of Grammy's antique tree ornaments. There was her very first stocking from back in Germany and some adorable ones for her and Grumpsy. I also loved the Maryland themed one too! Overall, the tree was absolutely beautiful even though we struggled with the lights for quite a while. Note to self: NEVER purchase a pre-lit tree! If the lights burn out, you are DOOMED.


We relaxed most of the day when the work was pretty much complete. I got a sweet picture of Grammy dancing with Caroline while we baked cookies.


I can't wait to look back through all of the videos that we took, too. It is always nice to have those in addition to pictures. We took quite a few pictures of sweet little Caroline that night after dinner. She had her own little photo shoot!


Overall, it was an absolutely wonderful first Thanksgiving for us as a married couple. (That one's for you Mom!) We enjoyed every minute and I realized how lucky we all really are to have such a wonderful, loving, and supportive family on both sides. It will be nice to look back over these holidays and remember all of the good times and stories. These years go by so fast and I hope that I remain as thankful for each day as I am right now. Happy Thanksgiving everyone and I hope you all had a wonderful holiday!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome weekend! I LOVE all of these photos!! Can't wait to see you guys again :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was such a good time! :)

      Delete