Bloomin' Onion Bread

Sunday, January 13, 2013

For our New Years get together, I wanted to make this recipe and bought everything I needed so that I would have it ready to go. Unfortunately, because I got sick, the only snacks that made it to the table were the veggies and dip, chips and salsa, and the cocktail meatballs I had in the crock pot. I was disappointed that we didn't get to try it because it looked so cheesy and delicious. So instead, I saved everything and made it this past week. As a result, I am now slightly obsessed with pull-apart bread recipes! So, so, sooo good!

If you are ever looking for something fun and different to make for a party or a potluck, I recommend this for sure. I found this one over on a blog called Your Homebased Mom. She has all kinds of other good recipes too, so check it out!

I also wanted to mention that she talks about making sure you find a crusty, artisan bread and how others, like the sourdough she tried, might not work if the crust isn't hard enough. Honestly, the loaf I found at our local bakery was sourdough and somewhat soft and I didn't have a problem. I feel like as long as you use the right knife and it's plenty sharp, you shouldn't have a problem cutting it properly. I don't know, that was just my experience and I thought I'd share. Do what works for you!

[Image Source: Bloomin' Onion Bread]

Bloomin' Onion Bread

1 unsliced loaf of sourdough bread (round is preferable)
1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup finely diced green onion, including white part
2-3 tsp poppy seeds

Directions:
Using a sharp bread knife, cut bread into cubes going both directions but do not cut through the bottom crust. Places slices of cheese between cuts. Mix together butter, onion, and poppy seeds.  Pour over bread. Wrap the whole loaf in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Unwrap. Bake 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment