Blackberry Iced Tea

Monday, February 18, 2013

I don't know about you, but I am already sick and tired of this winter weather. I am a summer baby so I think that has a lot to do with my aversion to the cold. Lately, we've had weeks upon weeks of sub-freezing temperatures here in Maryland and I want nothing more than to board a plane and jet off to the Caribbean so I can thaw out on the beach. It was really hard coming back from our trip to Florida to a week where temps never rose above 15 degrees.

I don't mind the cold so much over the holidays (it wouldn't feel like Christmas if it was warm), but once we get into the New Year, I'm ready for spring. The cold wouldn't be so bad if it would at least snow. It would actually be worth it and I definitely wouldn't mind having a day off. We've had dustings here and there but nothing substantial and if it's not going to snow, then any day below 65 degrees is unacceptable in my opinion!

That being said, my mind has been stuck on warmer weather. Mike and I have been planning our summer vacations and I have been picking up little spring inspired items here and there for the apartment. I know I can't decorate my way to spring but it helps me feel like we are getting closer if I have things to remind me that it's coming.

This week I picked up the ingredients to make this tasty Blackberry Iced Tea. I snagged the recipe from pinterest but it originally came from Southern Living. I can picture myself laying poolside or at a BBQ sipping this delicious little drink. I definitely plan on making this one soon to bring back a little taste of summer in these chilly winter months.


Blackberry Iced Tea

Ingredients
3 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
Pinch of baking soda
4 cups boiling water
2 family-size tea bags
2 1/2 cups cold water
Garnishes: fresh blackberries, fresh mint sprigs

Directions
Combine blackberries and sugar in large container. Crush blackberries with wooden spoon. Add mint and baking soda. Set aside.

Pour 4 cups boiling water over tea bags; cover and let stand 3 minutes. Discard tea bags.

Pour tea over blackberry mixture; let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Pour tea through a wire-mesh strainer into a large pitcher, discarding solids. Add 2 1/2 cups cold water, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Garnish, if desired.
Note: For the garnish, cut desired amount of wooden skewers into 5-inch lengths; then place fresh blackberries on skewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment