Kicking it up a notch

Friday, April 26, 2013

TGIF. I have never been so happy to see the weekend in my life.

This week has been insanely crazy at work since I've not only been trying to rush around to meet deadlines but I decided to completely re-organize my entire workspace, computer, filing system, notebook keeping system, and pretty much everything I do as well. I've been feeling like I'm spinning out of control when it comes to the dozens of projects we take on, so I thought it was a good time to re-think how I was keeping track of everything. If anyone has every worked in a research lab, you most certainly understand the importance of documentation and organization. The system I have been using previously had me scrambling every time my boss would come in and ask me about a project I hadn't touched in 6 months - which happens almost monthly. That feeling of panic crept up again on Monday and after our morning meeting I decided that never again would I stress over the disorganization. I am a very Type-A, highly organized kinda girl anyway, so the fact that I had become this way was almost embarrassing. So, I can officially say that, as of today, I have a new system that (hopefully) will not cause any more stress.

The strange part about this past week has been my increased energy level. Typically, when I have a long hard day at work, I come home exhausted, plop down on the couch with a glass of wine to watch Friends and I don't get up until Mike gets home - and sometimes, if it's been a really stressful day, I don't move until it's time for bed. I was starting to worry about how lazy I've become, until this week. Even though I had worked long hours and barely sat down for more than three minutes at a time, I was energized. After these last few days, I've kept up with and accomplished more at home than I have in the last month. I guess this really is no secret to me and shouldn't come as a shock since I have always equated organization with control and control with peace of mind. When I feel in control, I feel like I can accomplish anything. (Did I mention I'm Type-A?)

Growing up, my mom used to say that the state of my room was a reflection of my state of mind. When it was neat and orderly, she knew things with me were good and going well. But when she would walk in to find a room that looked like it had been hit by a tornado, she knew to expect a more stressed out, burned out, apathetic version of me. Now that I have started to feel more in control and organized at work, this has carried over into my every day life. I am finding that I have more time to do the things I not only need to do but the things I want to do.

So, that being said, I wanted to keep this momentum going and translate it to the blog. I wasn't sure exactly how I could do it until I came across Jenni's post on her blog Story of My Life. As a side note, Jenni has become one of my absolute favorite bloggers and I am obsessed with her photography and all around awesomeness.

When I read her blog yesterday, I thought about how cool it would be to try and participate in the challenge she presented:

One post, every day, for the month of May.
 

Since I am trying to keep my motivation rolling and bring that energy to the blog, what better way to do that than to amp up the frequency of my posts? What's even better is that I don't have to come up with the topics myself. She's got them posted right there!

I'm excited to try this out and see how far I get. I really am trying to work on blogging more often and I hope that blogging every day next month will spark a new habit. Or at least encourage me to believe in myself enough to post more often.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment