Challenge Day 10 - Embarrassing moments are my life

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Day 10: Most embarrassing moment(s). Spill.

I'm a total klutz. I trip, slip, run into walls and doors, spill things, drop things, burn things, and break things on the daily. Needless to say, I've gotten pretty used to embarrassing things happening in my everyday life. There a lot of things I could write for this post but most of them have become so common that I almost don't think of them as embarrassing... I think of them as... well, me.

Growing up with a father like mine also probably helped me to gain a little immunity to embarrassment.

My dad was and still is one of those awesome people who really and truly does not care what other people think about anything and everthing he does. When he was in high school, he did things differently on purpose. If red shirts were popular, he'd wear blue. If long shaggy hair was cool, he would buzz his off. He even walked to school on his hands because everyone else walked with their feet. (This is not a lie. He was a gymnast!) It didn't matter what anyone said, nothing phased him. I absolutely love that quality about him and I wish I could be that way now.

But growing up, I did NOT appreciate this quality. Dropping me off at school dances in his pajamas consisting of hole-y t-shirts, tube socks, and slippers? Yep, that was my dad. Trying to prove to my friends that he could dance like a member of N'Sync just because he shared a name with one of them? Yep, my dad again.

Since those days, I've learned to shrug off most of the embarrassing moments that occur in my life. While I didn't appreciate what he was trying to teach me then, I certainly do now. The only mortifying moment that I can think of happened fairly recently and this one will stick with me for a long time...

One day at work about a month or so ago, I was called in to meet with my boss to update him on the data I had prepared for our next big project. He had just gotten back from a two week vacation so it had been quite a while since I had seen him. He is a very sweet guy and cares a lot about me, not only as his research tech but on a personal level, too. He constantly asks me how things are going with married life, with my family, with the house, and other such details. We talk often about his family life, too, and I really enjoy catching up with him from time to time.

I walked into his office and sat down to go through the information I brought with me. After about twenty minutes of analysis and discussion, our conversation turned to recent life events as usual. He told me about his trip with his family to Disney World and how much fun his children had. He then sat back and smiled asking me how I was doing. I started to go on about Mike and I working on the paperwork for our loan and getting ready for the next steps in the housing process.

As I was talking I looked up and saw that he was still smiling at me. When I finished speaking, I smiled back politely. At this point, I had no idea what he would say next. I just thought he was smiling because he was excited to hear I was doing well.

Then, he said, still smiling, "Laura, you look like you've gained some weight. I just wanted to be the first one to congratulate you if you had any news to share."

He was telling me I looked like I might be pregnant. PREGNANT.

I definitely have gained a little weight since I first started my job back in 2011 but that's been over the course of two years. And I certainly have not put on enough to indicate that I was carrying a baby!

My face went bright red and I began to stammer out a reply. I quickly dismissed his notion that I was pregnant and then began to ramble on about a 5K that I was running in May and how I was trying to work out more. Then I tried letting him know that Mike and I weren't planning to have kids for a few years but ended up making a really awkward comment about nuns. I was so flustered and wanted to hide under my chair.

He really didn't mean any harm by the comment but the more I talked about it, the more I sounded dumb. Another one of those moments where I definitely said too much. My boss probably should have been more embarrassed than me.

It was definitely the most awkward moment that either of us has been in. I can guarantee that.

No comments:

Post a Comment