Challenge Day 15 - A Day in the Life

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 15, Wednesday: A Day in the life (include photos from throughout your typical day - this could be "a photo an hour" if you'd like)

When I began this challenge, I actually printed out the list of prompts that Jenni gave us and started to jot down ideas for each one so that I could plan ahead and produce posts that weren't just thrown together at the last minute. When I started planning for today's prompt, I had originally decided to set aside time throughout the day yesterday to take a photo every hour. I wanted to write an awesome post full of pictures and descriptions of my typical day.

Well, as usual, life happened and with all the chaos recently, I completely forgot to take the pictures. I looked through my phone this morning to see if there was anything I could use that I had taken yesterday and I found only one stinking photo. So before I get to detailing my typical day sans photos, I present to you the one lonely picture...
I took this at Grammy's house last night while we were hanging out with the family. I love fresh sunflowers and thought they deserved to be captured.

So, without further ado, here is my "day in the life."

I usually wake up around 7:30AM even though my alarm goes off at 6:15AM. Yes, I know this means I hit the snooze for over an hour... I'm working on it.

My wonderful husband, who is up usually around 6:00AM, brings me tea and I hang out in bed for maybe another 20 minutes talking to him, checking email/twitter/facebook on my phone before he leaves for work.

I've been trying to get in the habit of doing yoga for half an hour after I wake up but I have only been sucessful twice. I'm working on that, too.

Then, I get dressed and ready for work, grab a bite to eat, pack my lunch and I'm out the door by 8:30AM.

I have about a 20-30 minute commute to Baltimore depending on traffic but I really enjoy it. It gives me quiet time to prepare for the work day, listen to music, and drink my tea.

I get into the lab and since I am the only tech, I have more quiet time, which I love. I check my email, place orders, and try to get all of the boring stuff out of the way. Then I check in with blogland for a few minutes and publish my daily post for the day (I try to write these the night before).

By that time, I usually have a meeting with my boss or a general lab meeting with most of the folks in our division to discuss data/projects/grants/papers, etc. This doesn't happen every day but usually about twice a week.

Then, I get started on my experiments for the day. Most of the time, this means thawing tissues and processing them, then running various tests on them. We also receive human blood and process that for different things. Recently, I've been hopping on the shuttle downtown to the JHH campus to do my experiments there in other labs with which we are collaborating.
Hopkins is pretty big so there is no way I would ever walk from one place to another unless it was a few blocks away. Not becuase I'm anti-exercise either, just because it's not really all that safe. Sad, but true.

I'll spend a couple of hours working, break for lunch, and then pick up the experiments in the afternoon. Every day is so different it's hard to really be specific. Sometimes, I'm downtown all day and don't get to eat lunch until 3:00PM but other times, I only have a few PCR plates to run and I pretty much load them and then have a 3 hour break until the next one needs to be loaded. It can either be really hectic or really slow. It all just depends on the project in front of me.

I leave pretty much whenever my projects for the day are complete. This can be anywhere from 4:30PM to 7PM depending on the day. Most days I leave around 5:00PM. My hours are generally flexible.

After my commute back home, I pour myself a glass of wine and make dinner. Then Mike will usually come in from his daily run shortly after and I enjoy some more wine with him. Well, he usually drinks chocolate milk but, it's just another excuse for me to have a refill on my vino.

Our evenings are pretty low-key unless we are running off to an appointment or to visit with family. After dinner, I do a number of different things. My nights mostly include reading, writing blog posts, watching movies, cleaning, going for walks, or the super fun stuff like running errands, paying bills, and grocery shopping. Sometimes I'll even throw in a little workout here and there. By the time 10:00PM rolls around, I'm wiped out. I typically shower, get ready for bed, and I'm out like a light by 10:30PM.

1 comment:

  1. Your job sounds so cool! And I love sunflowers too :)

    ReplyDelete