Challenge Day 16 - Distance

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Day 16: Something difficult about your "lot in life" and how you're working to overcome it.

My gosh this is a tough one. I don't mean to say that there's nothing difficult in my life, it's just that I don't feel like there's anything worth writing about. 

I guess the one thing that has been pretty difficult for me has to do with my family. We are all separated by great distance and it's been that way for as long as I can remember. The only people that still live in good old Maryland are my parents and my mom's two sisters. Other than that, we are all spread across the country from Washington state to Florida. 

What's funny is that Mike's family lives all over the country too (Texas, North Carolina, Pennsylvania), and they somehow find time to get together often. Maybe it's because of Grammy, but I don't really know.

I'm lucky if I see a member of my extended family once a year, or even once every other year. I don't think that it's anyone's fault or anything, it's just that our lives are so busy and crazy that it's hard to find the time. Distance is tough. 

Mike and I have talked about distance and family quite a bit. He is worried about his family losing touch in the coming years too. We decided that when we have kids, we want our family to be close-knit and we will do anything and everything we can to make that happen. If that requires flying out to each and every one of our family members, then so be it. We will find the money and make it happen. Family is a priority to us and we don't want our kids growing up not knowing theirs. 

In terms of overcoming the distance, we are doing our best with what we have right now. Buying a house doesn't really leave much room for travel but we are doing what we can. We flew down to see my grandparents in Florida a few months ago and we are planning a trip to Pennsylvania this summer. We were also pretty lucky to be able to fly out to Chicago after I graduated college and spend time with my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins. 

I'm hoping that in the future we can visit more often but for now, simple things like picking up the phone or using Skype will help bridge that gap.


No comments:

Post a Comment