Challenge Day 18 - A special Christmas

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Day 18Tell a story from your childhood. Dig deep and try to be descriptive about what you remember and how you felt.

It was Christmas Day and I was in junior high.

My step-grandmother Sharon, (I really hate calling her that because she really was just like a real grandmother to me), had been diagnosed with cancer that had metastasized to her brain. She and my grandfather were living with us so that she could see the doctors in Maryland where the care was better. 

We were just getting ready to open gifts when I ran upstairs to get a card I had made for her. I rushed back downstairs and handed it to her. I don't remember what I wrote or what it looked like, but I will never forget her reaction.

I remember her looking straight at me, tearing up and hugging me, and telling me she loved me very much.

I had never seen her cry before that. She was the strongest woman I had ever known. She had been through a lot in her life but I had never really seen her in a weak moment.

I remember climbing up on the sofa between her and my Grandad and leaning against her with her arm wrapped around me. I remember looking up at the angel pin on her sweater. She wore it all throughout her chemo treatments and I received that pin after she passed.

Just then, I glanced out the window to discover a Christmas miracle... snow.

It had just begun moments before and we saw it as a sign that everything would be alright. It was the most special moment and I will never forget her face when she saw it. 

It was one of those bittersweet moments where you are so happy yet so sad all at the same time. I didn't want to think that this would be her last Christmas. I just wanted to sit and enjoy the beautiful sight. 

It was one of those moments that passed so slowly and so sweetly like it's giving you a chance to really soak it up. I will never forget it.



No comments:

Post a Comment