Challenge Day 2 - The Art of Being Me

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day 2: Educate us on something you know a lot about or are good at. Take any approach you'd like (serious and educational or funny and sarcastic)

This is slightly difficult for me since I have always felt like the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" fits me very well. I have seen and done a lot of things in my life but I still haven't really discovered any true talents. I'm somewhat knowledgeable about a lot of subjects but feel I don't know enough to really shed light on any of them.

I could easily sit here and talk to you about my job and go on and on about mitochondria and the renin angiotensin system since I definitely know a lot about that but my goal is definitely not to bore you. And believe me, unless you are deeply fascinated by the mechanisms of molecular biology, you will NOT find it interesting.

Since I have to write something (I don't want to strike out on Day 2 of the challenge), I thought maybe I'd list a bunch of things I've found I have a knack for over the years.


I am awesome at making lists. Part of this has to do with the fact that I can't rely on my memory a dang bit and if I don't write things down, they will forever be lost in the dark abyss that is my brain. Whether it's tasks at work, groceries, shoes I want to buy, kitchen appliances, or new songs I dig - you name it, I've got a list for it. I have a specific book for each type of list. I keep them in specific places so that they are always easy to find. I even prioritize the items on the lists and then prioritize the lists themselves. Yes, this may be incredibly strange or even neurotic, but hey, it's me.

I'm pretty good at being organized. This kind of goes along the lines of list-making. I am an organized person. I always have been. In the summers during my childhood, when I would go over to my best friend's house, she would suggest that we play with Barbies and I would suggest that we organize her desk drawers. Yes, this is sadly true and because I was older, my suggestions almost always won. She would sit there and watch as I went through her papers and books and categorized them based on size and subject and file them accordingly. She was not interested whatsoever in what I was doing but I know her mom loved it. Then, about a month later, when the system that I had put in place had been completely destroyed, I would sit her down and repeat the whole thing. I was a strange child.

I would like to think I'm a pretty good teacher. Over the last few years, I've had a lot of practice instructing the various volunteers, post docs, and students that come through our lab. I've found that I really enjoy teaching them and guiding them through the techniques and procedures that we perform day-to-day in our research. It's something that I like to think that I'm good at since the students always seem to have positive reviews and generally enjoy their time with us. Possible career move? Who knows!

I have patience for tedious things. Hence, my career choice. I can sit at a lab bench for hours a day weighing and transferring hundreds of tiny samples to hundreds of tiny tubes and not get frustrated. I actually find it very relaxing. When I was young, I would sit for hours making tiny textbooks and mini birthday cakes, and clothes for the dolls in my dollhouse. I have a great attention to detail and hope that it's something I never lose.

I'm a great procrastinator. Facebook. Pinterest. Twitter. Draw Something. All of these things have certainly not helped me become more productive. I have a great affinity for pushing things to the last minute and social media and PINTEREST have only augmented the situation.

So there you have it. The few things I am good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment