Challenge Day 20 - Trudy

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day 20: Get real. Share something you're struggling with right now.

This topic comes at a really appropriate time.

There are a lot of things I can say as the events of this last week or so have caused a great deal of turmoil in our lives.

To be completely honest, I've been dreading this post. I don't feel at all ready to talk about it. I was considering not posting it at all but this has been a major part of our journey and so I know that I really need to include it. Maybe it will be therapeutic for me, but right now I mainly just feel pain. There is no way that the things I write will ever do her justice but I'm gonna give it a try anyway. I will be brief because it's just hard to find the words.

Gertrude "Trudy" S. Whittaker passed away on Monday, May 13th, 2013.
The weekend before her passing was probably one of the most difficult periods I've ever been through in my life. It would be inappropriate for me to divulge details of how the days unfolded but I can at least say this:

Grammy taught me so much in both her life and her death.

I had never before stayed with someone who was dying, and although it was a bit scary at times, I consider my experiences over the last couple of weeks to be a gift.

Having the honor of being included as a member of the Whittaker family during this chapter in their lives means more to me than any of them will ever know. I have been struggling with my faith for a while now and witnessing the spiritual bond within their family was unlike anything I have ever experienced. It shook me to my core.

Grammy was a beautiful woman inside and out. I can honestly say after meeting so many people that were touched by her life, she truly lived every day of her 95 years. I can only hope that we all take a page from her book and embrace life as fully as she did.

You will be missed, Gram. We love you so much.

Grammy's favorite passage from "God Calling"

March 11 - Seek Beauty
Draw Beauty from every flower and Joy from the song of the birds, and the color of the flowers.

Drink in the beauty of air and color.  I am with you. When I wanted to express a beautiful thought, I made a lovely flower. I have told you. Reflect.

When I want to express to man what I am - what my Father is - I strive to make a very beautiful character.

Think of yourselves as My expression of attributes, as a lovely flower is My expression of thought, and you will strive in all, in Spiritual beauty, in Thought - power, in Health, in clothing, to be as fit an expression for Me as you can.

Absorb Beauty. As soon as the beauty of a flower or a tree is impressed upon your soul it leaves an image there which reflects through your actions. Remember that no thought of sin and suffering, of the approaching scorn and Crucifixion, ever prevented My seeing the beauty of the flowers.

Look for beauty and joy in the world around. Look at a flower until its beauty becomes part of your very soul. It will be given back to the world again by you in the form of a smile or a loving word or a kind thought or a prayer.

Listen to a bird. Take the song as a message from My Father. Let it sink into your soul. That too will be given back to the world in ways I have said. Laugh more, laugh often. Love more. I am with you. I am your Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment