Challenge Day 22 - My Rant

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Day 22: Rant about something. Get up on your soapbox and tell us how you really feel. (a pet peeve, a current event, a controversial topic, something your husband or roommate or neighbor or boss does that really ticks you off)

Narcissism - a personality characteristic associated with self-absorption, egocentrism, an overestimation of one's own importance and abilities, a sense of entitlement and a disregard for others.

It's a serious issue. Well at least it's something I think has become a serious problem in society these days and it's what I am going to rant about today.

I have come to despise the fact that people seem to feel entitled to everything these days. They don't seem to care about anyone but themselves and they don't see anything wrong with putting their needs above everyone else's all the time.

True story...

I was waiting in line at the pharmacy drive-thru the other day to pick up my medication. Now, this whole rant could have to do with the fact that I was a technician at this particular pharmacy for more than three years and I can personally attest to the stress that the employees are under, but I think this is coming more from my experience as a customer than anything else. (side note: Did you know that "Pharmacy Technician" made it on the Forbes top ten list of the world's unhappiest jobs? Ha, not surprising.)

There was one car in front of me and one behind me.

I had been in line for about maybe three minutes when the "gentleman" in the truck behind me started revving his engine to indicate his impatience. I could see his frustration growing as he kept throwing up his arms and although I couldn't hear him, I could clearly see he was yelling. My first thought was, SERIOUSLY?! What are you going to do? Run me over?

The person ahead of me definitely was taking a while but I didn't expect the transaction to be instantaneous.

The first thing that folks need to understand is that a pharmacy drive-thru is NOT like McDonald's. There will be a wait time. These are medications and people's lives we are talking about here, not burgers and fries.

After another minute or so the guy started honking his horn and yelling and screaming. The next thing I know, he throws his car in reverse, almost hitting a woman and her son that were walking around the building behind him, rolls down his window and floors it, swerving around my car, cursing us all the whole way.

I was stunned.

This man seriously can't wait more than five minutes to pick up his meds? If it's really that much of an emergency, why aren't you at the ER?

What he said didn't affect me much but what if the guy had been screaming at someone else instead of me? Like a mother caring for her daughter who was dying of cancer just trying to pick up her medication after a long day at work? What if the guy waiting in front of me had just had a liver transplant and there was an issue with his insurance covering his life-saving meds?

You never know a person's story. You never know what's going on in their lives. Who are you to place your needs above theirs? Who are you to say that your troubles are greater than anyone else's?

Maybe the guy in the truck did have a bigger issue. Maybe he was just like one of those people I described. But did he have to be so rude?

When did we become so angry and self-absorbed? When did we lose all patience, respect, and common courtesy?

People might say that technology has forced us to be this way, but I refuse to accept that.

I think putting others first is a choice and a damn good one.

End rant.


4 comments:

  1. Impatient people in general get on my nevrves. I know everyone has their limit but come on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Byron! I'm sure you remember those days haha :)

      Delete