Challenge Day 25 - Mrs. Reid

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Day 25: Something someone told you about yourself that you'll never forget (good or bad).

Can you tell our weekends have no routine? That's the only reason I can think to explain why I seem to have trouble posting regularly after Friday. I am posting twice today to make up for yesterday. I'll be damned if I don't complete this entire challenge! I am determined to write about every single topic even if it's not totally on schedule every day. 

I feel like this prompt shouldn't be that hard but for some reason, I'm having a really tough time with it.

Either no one has really told me anything important about myself (which cannot be true) or I didn't take the time to really listen to what they were saying. How sad.

The only thing I can think of isn't something someone told me directly but it's something I will never forget. 

In kindergarten, we had to complete this series of entrance tests where the teachers would evaluate us on the skills we had to place us properly in a specific learning level. My wonderful, sweet teacher, Mrs. Reid, spoke to my parents after the tests were complete to share how I had done. 

What Mrs. Reid shared gave such evidence of my personality and I will never forget it when my mom told me about it years later. It's all so true. 

After the tests she told my mom that she was amazed at my incredible attention to detail. My mom told me Mrs. Reid said specifically that if they had asked me about the testing room after I had left, I could describe everything in detail from the arrangement of the tables and chairs to the books on the shelves. She said that I could probably even tell you about which books were which color and what order they were placed in. 

She spoke about how bright I was but how I was not the type to jump up and answer questions first or try an activity right away. Instead I sat back and watched to see how it was done and then made a careful choice to try it on my own. 

It's funny to me how even at 5 years old, I displayed the same characteristics that define me today. 

I still think about Mrs. Reid from time to time and how on target she was with all that she said. 

I know this isn't anything really earth-shattering, but it's all I can think of for today. I hope everyone has a nice holiday weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment