Challenge Day 4 - A Quote

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Day 4: Favorite quote (from a person, from a book, etc.) and why you love it

I've always loved inspirational quotes. As a kid, I loved to read the words of people like Mark Twain, Mother Theresa, Helen Keller, Thoreau, and Martin Luther King Jr. for guidance. I would search for quotes that often shed light on how I was feeling at the time. I started to love searching for quotes so much that I started a book of my favorites. Every time I found one I liked, I added it to the book. That way I could look back on my collection whenever I needed inspiration.


It's honestly hard for me to choose a single quote that I can deem "my favorite" since I have collected so many over the years. Most of the time, I would add quotes to my book because they spoke to me about a situation I was in or a feeling I was experiencing at that time in my life. I thought about this all day yesterday and finally decided that I wanted to choose a quote that does just that - something that speaks to me right now, in the midst of everything that is going on in my life. So I chose a quote by Kurt Vonnegut.


I thought it was so beautiful and something that serves as a reminder to me in these times of violence and negativity. Every night when I flip on the news, the reporters move from story to story describing nothing but negative events. Shootings, murder, bombings, government crimes, destructive weather patterns, plane crashes, missing people, gun debates - it just goes on and on and on. With all of the negative media, it is so easy to get caught up and forget that there are good things going on in the world.

Last month, when I watched the horror unfold on TV as the coverage of the Boston bombings was broadcast, I tried to find something good. I struggled with the images as people ran screaming from the site, bloodied by the unexpected blasts. But in that moment, as I watched the videos play over and over again, I realized how many people were helping the wounded victims. Seconds after the blasts went off, I noticed how dozens of policemen in yellow vests, EMS crews, and even bystanders rushed toward the area where the blasts had gone off. If I had been there, my initial reaction would have been to run away as fast as my feet could carry me. But here, in the middle of it all, their first reaction was to run in the opposite direction, not knowing, not even caring, that there could be more attacks. They put their lives on the line to help people they didn't even know. They put other's needs before their own safety and this was incredible to me.

That is why this quote inspires me. It has helped me to realize that despite all of the awful things going on in our world today, there are still good people out there. People with the courage to do the right thing when it would be so much easier to be selfish and and bitter. It has given me the courage to believe that the world really is a beautiful place and to keep on living my life without fear and hatred. Maybe if I try to focus on keeping a positive outlook that others will be inspired to do the same.

3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through the Blog Every Day in May Challenge! :)

    I love the idea of a handwritten quote journal... I may have to steal that idea! I have a million journals but not that kind!

    As for your quote, it's beautiful! I think that a lot of times, we see the negativity of such an act as the Boston Marathon (and we should, don't get me wrong), but I also think that light always shines in the darkness and we get to see that for every one person that does something horrible, there are hundreds, thousands, and even millions who love, support, and care for others. That's a miracle! It's the silver lining to a very horrible, tragic cloud. It's all we can do in situations like that, it's how we move on.

    Thanks for sharing!

    http://www.chimerikal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment! It's so important to try to see the silver lining in all negative situations, you are so right.

      And you should definitely start a quote journal! It's a great tool for inspiration.

      You have a wonderful blog going, btw! :)

      Delete
  2. I love that quote, so true!

    ReplyDelete