Feeling Domestic

Thursday, August 1, 2013

I'm not sure what's gotten into me, but I've been spending a lot of time in the kitchen lately. Mike is certainly loving it and honestly, even with all the energy it costs me, I am too!

Last night I made my own croutons and tested out some sea salt and vinegar kale chips while making dinner. (Seriously, what's gotten into me?) I wasn't a big fan of turning the oven on since it's been so hot, but it wasn't that bad in the end. Especially since there was a tasty outcome. The kale chips were absolutely delicious and I plan to make a much bigger batch next time because they were gone within an hour.
  
[via]

This weekend, my mom and I are meeting up to do a "Power Cooking" day as we call it.

A while back, my mom and I decided that we would start getting together once a month to make up a bunch of meals ahead of time that we could freeze and later pull out on those nights when we have no idea what to make. I love the idea of planning and preparing meals in advance. It takes a lot of the guess work out of cooking when I'm too exhausted to throw something together.

We are starting this monthly tradition on Saturday and I'm actually really excited! We have each chosen four meals and we plan to double the recipes so that we can split up what we make into eight meals for each of us.

The meals I have chosen are:

Lasagna
Pesto Chicken Stuffed Shells
Honey Lime Chicken
Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos

I found each of the recipes on Pinterest and they specifically have directions for freezing which makes things super easy.

My shopping list is actually pretty simple, too:

10 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 lb. ground beef
1 box jumbo pasta shells
4 oz. lasagna noodles
1 medium onion
1 jar (15 ½ oz.) spaghetti sauce
1 pint cottage cheese
4oz cream cheese
1 container grated parmesan cheese
12 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cloves garlic
1 cup cilantro lime pesto
1 20 oz can pineapple tidbits
1/4 cup honey
1 lime
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 tsp Corn starch
garlic powder
Garlic salt
Dried Parsley
Olive Oil
salt and pepper

I tried to pick recipes that had common ingredients for the most part so I wouldn't have to buy a bunch of different things. When I do go shopping though, I will be doubling this list, like I said, so that I can split it with my mom. I can't wait to see what she comes up with too!

Have a wonderful Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. I love doing freezer meals! I was just saying yesterday that I really need to get back into it, it makes my life so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! They really are great! I'm so excited to start :)

      Delete