Fitness Rut

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I've been stuck in a bit of a rut recently when it comes to exercise. Okay, that's not really true. I should say I've been stuck in a rut for the last two years.

In high school and college, I was a pretty active person. I ran, went to the gym, took yoga classes and actually seemed to enjoy working out. I felt motivated to stay fit and liked feeling like I was in shape and healthy.

After I graduated two years ago, however, I started to notice that my metabolism was slowing down considerably and I gained about 15 pounds. Now, I know that 15 pounds is not a ton of weight but I gained most of it within the first two months so it was a really quick change for me. I remember having a meltdown after discovering that my entire drawer of pants and shorts no longer fit me. Of course, my metabolism wasn't all to blame. My eating habits weren't great and I snacked all the time. On top of that, I got lazy. I started my first big-girl job after graduation and working full-time had me coming home more exhausted than ever. I remember almost every day I would come home and grab a bowl of ice cream or a bag of chips and sit down to watch the news or some trashy TV show until dinner.

What's worse is that, since then, I haven't really been motivated to try getting back in shape. For a few months, I joined a gym but only went a handful of times. It got to the point where I would make every excuse not to work out.

I could sit here and make more excuses about how I can never find time, or I can't find anyone to workout with, or I'm just too busy but, after all of this time, I've gotten fed up with trying to defend my poor habits. I'm tired of pretending like I'm okay with how I feel and look, because I'm not. I miss being toned and healthy and I want to get back to that. And the only way to get there is to start making changes.

Since we've moved into this new house, I've started to change things slowly. We've been eating healthier, taking walks, spending more time outside and less time in front of the TV, and actually eating FOOD, not "edible food-like substances." Little things that will eventually add up to big change. For me, that's how it's gotta be. If I just suddenly tried jumping into a workout plan going full speed five days a week, I'd be setting myself up to fail. I need to start small. Baby steps.

So tonight, I am excited to annouce that I'm finally starting yoga again! Once a week, I'll be taking an hour out of my day to relax, stretch, breathe, and center myself. Yoga has always helped me to feel in control. It makes me feel stronger and healthier both mentally and physically. I have missed it so much and I can't wait to get back into it!

Once I get into a routine with these yoga classes, I am thinking about adding on a pilates class or even try Zumba. I've heard from so many of my friends how much they love it and I think it might be fun! We'll just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment