A look back...

Monday, September 23, 2013

It's amazing to think that one year ago yesterday, I was walking down the aisle toward my best friend to promise forever.

I’ll never forget that moment when I saw him standing at the altar.

I had millions of butterflies fluttering around inside me as I waited in a small back room at the church before the ceremony started. My parents and grandparents and all of my best girls were right there with me trying to calm my nerves. I kept anxiously and a bit impatiently glancing up at the clock every few minutes. I’ll never forget the feeling of excitement I felt when I heard the church bells strike twelve. I knew it was time.
I was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed by the emotion of it all until my dad took my arm, we crossed over the threshold to the church door, and I saw Mike standing there with this big, goofy smile on his face.
With tears in his eyes, he was brimming with joy and right then that all my nervousness vanished. I knew that in that moment everything was perfect and I was exactly where I needed to be.

Up on that altar, in front of everyone we love, we united our lives and made a sacred vow to love and care for each other eternally.
I had always imagined myself crying when I recited my vows. I thought I wouldn’t make it past a few words before the tears started flowing, but as Father Gene began to speak, and I began to repeat him, I felt an overwhelming sense of peace. The words felt so right and looking into Mike’s eyes, I was home.
For the rest of the day, we danced and sang and laughed and loved.
With our families and best friends all around us we celebrated the beginning of a lifetime of happiness. We could not have been more blessed.
Somehow a whole year has slipped by and with each passing day I grow more and more grateful to have Mike by my side. Our wedding day and the days that have filled our first year together as husband and wife have been truly spectacular. I wouldn't trade a single moment. As we begin our second year together, I am eager for the adventures that life has in store and I can't wait to see what unfolds.

4 comments:

  1. Laura, I love reading your posts about being newlyweds and looking back on your anniversary!!! I'm getting married in November and can't wait to be making special memories like you and your husband. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) And congratulations to you on your upcoming nuptials! I hope you post pictures of your wedding! I would love to see them!

      Delete