Blogtember Day 10: A Letter To My Dad...

Monday, September 16, 2013

Challenge: Write a public love letter to someone in your life. (It doesn't necessarily need to be romantic.)
Dear Daddy,
As the saying goes, “Any man can be a father, but it takes a special man to be a Dad.” Those words could not ring truer and I can proudly say that I was blessed with such a special man.
While I didn’t always know how to express it growing up or sometimes I was embarrassed to do so, I have always loved you with all of my heart and I will forever appreciate all that you have done and continue to do for me. This letter will hopefully be something that will remind you of that for years to come.
There is no one in the world that is wiser, kinder-hearted, more self-less, and as generous as you, Daddy.
I have watched you from the time I was a little girl until now as a married woman, make many sacrifices for your family and give everything you have to provide for those you love. It is incredible to me how effortlessly you perform each and every one of your roles in life. Dad, husband, uncle, brother, son - whatever it may be, you have always been an outstanding provider. And with all that you give of yourself, you inspire me every day. I pray that one day, when I have a family to care for, that I can display even a tenth of the strength and altruism that you possess.
Growing up, no matter what problems I encountered, you always had an encouraging answer. Anytime I was perplexed by a math problem or if I had an issue with a friend at school, you could always provide a solution and you made me feel strong enough to handle it on my own. I’ll never forget the countless hours you spent with me at the whiteboard in the laundry room, working those word problems or algebra questions until I not only understood the concepts but I could practically teach them.
In the time that you spent with me practicing soccer drills, tagging along to band competitions, watching me in school plays, teaching me to tie my shoes, ride my bike, tell time and dance and pray - I learned so much from you.  Through your time with me you sowed your love and I cannot thank you enough for that.
You have always supported me and cheered me on no matter what my dreams looked like at the time. Whether I wanted to be a singer or a writer or a scientist, you were always right there with a plan to help me get there. I never had to worry because you had given me the tools I needed to find my path in life. In all that you have taught me, what I appreciate the most was the confidence you gave me to be myself. You could not have given me a greater gift.
Your humility, your wisdom, your patience, and your unconditional love are all things I hope to reflect as I grown into the woman I am destined to be.
You’ll always be my flugelmeister. I love you so much.
Love,
LJ

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your father! I hope he gets to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He did! He really seemed to like it!

      Delete