Blogtember Day 5: Personality

Monday, September 9, 2013

Challenge: Take this short personality test and respond to your results.

The funny thing about this prompt is that I just wrote something about being an introvert last month. So in a way, I've already sort of checked this one off the list but I'll share my results anyway!

According to this test I am an INFJ. Introversion, iNtuitive, Feeling, Judging.

I've actually taken this kind of Myers-Briggs test several times throughout my life. I took it in middle school, high school, college twice, for pre-cana before getting married, and even just for fun. What's crazy is that usually, everytime I take it, I get slightly different results. Well, with one exception: I am undeniably an introvert. But for the other personality indicators, I've always gotten different combinations. ISFJ, ISFP, INFP - I've gotten them all at one point or another.

At first I thought that there was something wrong with the test, or maybe even me, but now I'm beginning to think that it's because my entire life I've had a hard time fitting into categories. In life, I've found that I've never been able to identify completely with one particular lifestyle, belief, mentality, or group of people and that translates to the idea behind this test. I've never really had a strong leaning percentage toward one personality type over the other (with the exception of introversion). In some situations, I receive information through what is actually present that I can see, feel, and touch directly but in others, I "read between the lines" a bit more. I also process the information in different ways, depending on the circumstance. Sometimes I react with strong emotions and other times I respond in a more calculated manner based on what truths I know.

As far back as I can remember, I've felt sort of in-between on just about everything.

In school, I couldn't really figure out where I fit in so I became friends with kids in all social circles. I was never really grouped into one specific clique and because of this, I found that I could participate in lots of different activities. I was in band, theater, AP classes, sports, environmental clubs, law clubs, religious clubs, you name it.

It seems that as I've gotten older, nothing has really changed either.

I have a natural talent for math and science but I love and appreciate writing, music, and art. My left brain and my right brain are at constant war. Politically, I am very moderate - not really liberal but not really conservative either. I agree with a few ideas on all sides. I also can't even name my true eye color! Some say it's hazel, but it really just changes from light brown to green and back again or sometimes it's a little of both.

Growing up, my mom would always bring up how polar opposite she and my dad are and I believe that I only have them to thank for my multi-faceted personality. She would often cite the results of their Myers Briggs tests as evidence. My mom is an ESFJ and my dad an INTP. Literally. Polar opposites. My mom is a bubbly, outgoing, "whimsical" (her word, not mine), passionate, determined, and intelligent woman.  My dad is a quieter, thoughtful, wise, analytical, and logical engineer. When I think of my parents, and this may sound totally off the wall, but, I see colors. My mom being the warmer, vibrant and expressive reds, oranges, and yellows whereas my dad embodies the cooler, richer, and calmer blues, greens, and purples.

And of course, I often feel like I'm that awkward shade of brown that you get when you mix them all together.

I've realized though that not having one specific talent or knowing exactly who I am is not necessarily a bad thing. I used to think it was, but as I've matured, it's actually become something that I love about myself. While I may not have a passion to become a track star in the olympics or a great composer or an astronaut, that doesn't mean that I can't do something great. It just means that I have the opportunity to live my entire life exploring different avenues, trying new things, and enjoying a little bit of everything along the way, all in the name of discovering myself.

4 comments:

  1. I got the same results when I took the test. I am definitely a bit of an introvert and I am right there with you on the whole dabbling a bit into everything. I always want to try new things, even if it is only once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow INFJ! I was surprised by how many introverts there are in the blogging world. So cool! :)

      Delete
  2. I love how you have colours for your parents.

    Have a Great Monday

    ReplyDelete