Roasted Fall Vegetable Pizza

Thursday, October 24, 2013

For the longest time, I've wanted to make my own pizza. There is just something that seems so fun about it. I remember as a kid in school, I would get so excited when I'd open my lunchbox to find that my mom had packed pizza Lunchables. I felt like a chef designing the perfect pizza creation. I made sure each little dough round had the just the right amount of sauce, carefully spreading it with the tiny plastic spoon. And I had the toppings down to a science; only I could ensure that each pizza had the perfect cheese to pepperoni ratio. Serious business I tell you. Now of course, I find them absolutely disgusting, but I guess it was more about the assembly for me than the taste.  

Over the years, I have amassed quite a collection of mouth-watering pizza recipes and I've been dying to give the real thing a try. So, when I came across this recipe the other night (courtesy of the fabulous Martha Stewart), I decided that I had been waiting long enough. I literally shouted "Let there be pizza!" as I jotted down the ingredients on my shopping list.

Now personally, I'm not the kind of person who has the time to make her own pizza dough, so I was relieved when I saw the recipe suggested using fresh or frozen store-bought dough. Knowing Martha, I was a little surprised by this, since I remember watching the woman make her own freaking marshmallows once. Not kidding.

With the gorgeous autumn weather we've been having, this one seems like a great choice for a chilly night in. I can't wait to pop it in the oven next week!

[via]

Roasted Fall Vegetable Pizza

Ingredients
1 pound (about 1 medium) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 pound red new potatoes, well scrubbed and quartered
1/2 pound medium red onions, peeled and quartered
1/2 pound carrots, halved lengthwise, if thick, and cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
Flour, for dusting surface
1 pound store-bought pizza dough, fresh, or thawed if frozen
8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
1 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves (optional)
Coarse salt
Ground pepper
Olive Oil

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide vegetables and garlic evenly between two rimmed baking sheets. Toss with oil, salt, and pepper. Roast until tender and beginning to brown, 40 to 50 minutes, tossing them and rotating sheets from top to bottom half way through. Remove from oven, drain, and set aside.

Heat oven to 475 degrees. Brush a large baking sheet (preferably rimless) with oil, or line with parchment paper, if desired, for easy cleanup.

On a lightly floured surface, roll and stretch dough into a 12-by-16-inch oval (or as large as will fit on baking sheet); transfer to sheet.

Sprinkle dough with half the mozzarella. Scatter vegetables on top, and dollop with ricotta; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and, if using, rosemary. Drizzle with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Bake until bubbling and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment