Book Review: Gone Girl

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Book #7 - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

[image source: Goodreads]

This may be hard to believe, but this is the very first mystery I have ever read. I'm not really sure how I've gone this long without picking one up, but it's true. It's not that I necessarily avoided them, I've just always wanted to read other things. But, I have to say, for my first one, this book was a great choice. I am officially hooked.

I didn't know what to expect when I checked it out of the library, but I knew a lot of people who had read it already and really liked it, so I was hoping I would hold the same opinion. From the moment I cracked the spine, I knew I was in for an adventure. It's one of those thrillers that completely consumes you and until you reach the last page, you won't want to put it down. 

I found it kind of difficult to review a book like this without giving too much away. So even though I can't comment on major details in the book (let's just say there are a lot of twists and turns), I can certainly tell you that I loved it and I plan to try a few more from Flynn.

Summary (source)
Marriage can be a real killer.

One of the most critically acclaimed suspense writers of our time, New York Times bestseller Gillian Flynn takes that statement to its darkest place in this unputdownable masterpiece about a marriage gone terribly, terribly wrong. The Chicago Tribune proclaimed that her work "draws you in and keeps you reading with the force of a pure but nasty addiction." Gone Girl's toxic mix of sharp-edged wit and deliciously chilling prose creates a nerve-fraying thriller that confounds you at every turn.

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media--as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents--the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter--but is he really a killer?

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

With her razor-sharp writing and trademark psychological insight, Gillian Flynn delivers a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller that confirms her status as one of the hottest writers around.

My Review
What I loved
1. I know I've said this a million times in a lot of my other reviews, but I really do love books that involve multiple points of view. I enjoy reading segments of the story from different characters and piecing together the big picture. This book does exactly that and the structure ended up being one of my favorite aspects. I loved how the story flipped back and forth between both Nick and Amy's accounts of their marriage allowing readers to try to sift through the details to find the truths for themselves.

2. It was the definition of a page-turner - especially after I reached the second half of the book. It took everything in my power not to flip to the end to see how things turned out. Although even if I had actually tried to cheat, I probably wouldn't have understood what was happening anyway since things got so turned around in the end.

3. It was just plain fun to read. It felt so good to be reading something that I didn't want to put down. That's all there is to it.

4. The fact that at any given moment, I didn't know whose character to trust or who the reigning "good guys" or "bad guys" were. Once you think you know, you'll soon find out that you really have no idea. Flynn does a wonderful job of making sure that all of the characters have pretty nasty flaws but also lots of heroic qualities, too, making it difficult to really spot the culprit.

What I didn't love
1. I was quite frankly a little unsatisfied with the ending. I can completely understand why it was left the way it was, but I guess I ended up so invested in the characters and the story that it actually left me a little frustrated. Which I guess is the point in and of itself. (This probably makes no sense if you haven't read the book so I apologize for that, but that just means you'll have to go check it out, huh?)

2. The first part was a little slow, I have to admit. There were only a few moments in the first half where Flynn would divulge little bits of information that kept me reading. If she hadn't done that, there's probably a good chance I would have put the book down entirely. Once you reach the second half, though, the story accelerates significantly keeping you hooked until the end.

3. This is more of an observation than a complaint but I feel like the author honestly must have one ridiculously twisted mind to be able to come up with a story such as this. I obviously will not go into much detail here so that I don't give anything away but after I finished reading, I think I literally sat there for a good five minutes with the book closed wondering how someone would be able to dream up such a wild, dark, and sick scenario.

Rating
4 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I guess I should try picking this up again. I read the first maybe two chapters and then moved on to something else because I couldn't get into it. I'll have to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I have been wanting to read this for a while.

    ReplyDelete