Hot Toddy

Thursday, December 5, 2013

This weather. I tell you.

I'm not sure what's going on with good old Mother Nature where you live but she's having some kind of crisis over here. Last week it was 20 degrees nearly every day and now it's supposed to get up to almost 70 today. I'm beginning to think that this might have something to do with why I am sick. My body can't handle the changes! Just let it be winter already!

All I've been able to think about this past week has been my cold. It's hard to think about much else when all you do is lay on the couch all day drinking tea and blowing your nose every five seconds. I just want to feel better and the meds I have definitely don't seem to be doing it for me. So that got me thinking (and googling) and I was curious to see if there were any creative home remedies out there that I could use to fight this nasty bug. I found all of the usuals like drinking plenty of fluids, inhaling steam, and gargling salt water but there were also quite a few bizarre ones too like drinking garlic and cayenne pepper tea, wearing cold wet socks to ease congestion, and listening to jazz music to boost immunity. Seriously? SO STRANGE.

I'm not sure if any of them really work but I did happen to come across one that I am definitely without a doubt going to try: HOT TODDIES. That's my kind of medicine! I found this recipe over on SippitySup and you can bet I'm having Mike stop by the store on his way home to pick up all the goodies! Even if it doesn't take away any of my symptoms, at least it'll be more fun than plain old tea!

[via]

Hot Toddy

Ingredients
2 cups water
2 tablespoons honey
2 shots bourbon
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 bags black tea
cinnamon sticks (optional)
cloves (optional)
lemon wedges (optional)

Directions
Bring the water to a boil in a kettle. Drizzle half the honey onto the bottom of each of 2 large mugs. Add half the bourbon and lemon juice to each mug. Once the water reaches nearl boiling, but not quite, place one tea bag in each mug and fill them nearly full with the hot water. Garnish with any combination of cinnamon sticks, cloves, and/or lemon wedges.

2 comments:

  1. You're not kidding! The weather here has been completely bipolar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, it feels like Spring! What's up with that?!

      Delete