Hello, 2014!

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

[via]

Over the last week, I've been reading through all kinds of posts on New Years resolutions and goals for 2014 and I've been pondering what changes I'd like to make in my own life in the new year.

I decided to dig up my list of resolutions from last year to see how many of them I accomplished and sadly, not a single one had been checked off. There were a few that I had made good strides toward accomplishing but my progess fell apart somewhere along the way. One thing is for sure, I was incredibly ambitious, listing nearly 20 different goals. I realize now that this was likely part of the problem. Too many goals.

As a natural Type-A list-maker, I also have a tendency to be a bit of a perfectionist. I often have pretty high (and somewhat unrealistic) expectations of myself when it comes to what I can get done. I end up juggling a million different things and get really frustrated when I can't balance them all perfectly.

So this year, instead of making a laundry list of things I want to change about myself or my house or my body, I've decided to put my energy into a single goal. That way, I don't overload myself with a to-do list and end up getting so overwhelmed that I drop it all by February.

My mantra for 2014 is simply this: Learn to appreciate what I have by doing more of what I love.

This year, I want to concentrate on appreciating the wonderful things I already have in my life instead of trying to change them.

I want to focus on my family, focus on my friends, on my relationships, and the people that mean the world to me. In order to do that, I want to do more with them. Do more of what I love with them. That means, more home-cooked meals, more dinner parties, more family game nights, more phone calls to distant relatives, and more time spent with them. I want to learn more from those closest to me, get to know their hearts, and share more experiences together.

I want to make our little home into a place that people feel comfortable and welcome. I want to add our personal stamp and create a space filled with love and memories. We are so lucky to have a place to call our own. I want to take advantage of the time we have here and learn to love every square inch of it.

I want to erase the pressures of perfectionism and incorporate more of the good stuff into my life. I don't want to get hung up on the small, insignificant details of things and end up completely missing the moment. It doesn't matter how many game nights we host or how many times I pick up the phone to chat, it just matters that we do it more.

I want more of the simple things I love and I want to be grateful for all that God has given me.

More love, less stress. More satisfaction, less coveting. More appreciating, less comparing.

6 comments: