Homemade Salad Dressing

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

We got hit with a bit of a snow storm yesterday and I've been off work for a couple of days. We ended up with a good six inches on the ground. Of course now, it's all turning to ice but it still looks pretty!

Mike stayed home from work yesterday and we got a few little projects done around the house. It feels good to be making some progress with some of the things we've been putting off. We hung some pictures in the dining room and filled our new buffet cabinet with our china. We also ordered a turntable and have been collecting some vinyl records so I can't wait to start being able to play them! It is scheduled to arrive today but with the snow, I'm not sure if it will. Fingers crossed!

I figured I would also take some time today to try out a couple new salad dressing recipes I've found recently. We typically make our own but I've been dying to try a few new kinds to give us some variety. We mostly make a simple balsamic vinaigrette and a dijon vinaigrette. Mike had asked for Ranch and I really love Sesame Ginger so those are the two that I've picked for today. It's nice to have fresh dressing and to know each of the ingredients that go into making them. I was shocked when I learned how many nasty chemicals and preservatives there are in the store-bought dressings. I feel much better knowing that I can enjoy the same taste but with fresh, whole, and organic ingredients. Enjoy!

[via]

Sesame Ginger Dressing

Ingredients
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp sesame oil (can add another tablespoon for more sesame flavor if you prefer)
3/4 cup olive oil

Directions
Add all ingredients to a mason jar fitted with an airtight lid (or whatever container you have with a lid).  Shake vigorously until well combined.  Store in the refrigerator.


Ranch Dressing

Ingredients
5 tablespoons buttermilk
3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried chives
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste

Directions
Using a whisk, mix all ingredients together in a bowl until smooth and evenly blended. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.

2 comments: