Finally!

Thursday, March 20, 2014

 
As much as I've griped about winter on this blog in the last few months, I'm sure I've begun to sound like a broken record every time I start begging for spring to get here faster. Well no more, my friends, because today is the day.

HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING!

While there may still be snow in my back yard and those beautiful little crocuses I posted about last week have shriveled up from the ice, I don't care! To me, spring is here!

Today, to celebrate the return of all things bright and beautiful, I came up with a little spring bucket list (which, as you know, I loved making) of things to do once the weather starts really warming up and the flowers are in full bloom.

1. Go for a hike in your local park. There are so many awesome walking and hiking trails to take advantage of, so get out there, get moving, and explore!

2. Fill the house with fresh cut flowers. There is nothing I love more than decorating every flat surface in my home with beautiful, fragrant blooms. You can bet that the minute our local farm starts selling their flowers, I'll be buying bunches of them.

3. Get your hands dirty and plant something. We are planning to start our own veggie garden this season and now that I've got my seeds in hand, I can't wait to start digging. I'll be doing another post with all the details on our first garden, so stay tuned.

4. Plan a picnic to a park. One of the first things that Mike and I do every spring is pack up a blanket, a few sandwiches, some fresh fruit, and a couple of good books and head to our local park to soak up the sunshine. There's nothing more relaxing!

5. Go barefoot! When I was a kid, there was rarely ever a day during the spring and summer when you could spot me with shoes on and not much has changed for me since those days. I still love the feeling of the cool grass between my toes. Traipsing through the yard with nothing but the earth under my feet just makes me feel nostalgic, I guess.

6. Dine al fresco. Whether it's at home or your favorite restaurant, there is no better way to enjoy the fresh air than dining outside.

7. Go to a farmers' market. There may not be much of a selection this early in the season but before you know it, the stands will be overflowing. Be sure to pay a visit to support your local farmers!

8. Listen. The sounds of spring are all around us. The birds chirping, the rain drops falling. New life is growing. Take some time to notice it.

Be sure to add these to your list of to-do's alongside all that spring cleaning! Have a wonderful first day of spring!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Hello Spring! Love this list, I can't wait to get out and start doing most of these things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooooove fresh flowers! I have some Trader Joe's lilies and roses right now but my coworkers had daffodils in their office yesterday and I just couldn't stop looking at them - so bright and happy! That will be my next flower purchase for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trader Joe's has such a wonderful selection! I love getting flowers from them too!

      Delete
  3. I'm a barefoot baby myself, and definitely look forward to flip-flops and wandering around with nothing on my soles at all! :) So happy and excited spring is here, even if it they're calling for some cold and snow (!) next week. I'll pretend. And the cherry blossoms will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you and me both, Meg! And I am hoping that Mike and I can pop down to DC again this year to see all those gorgeous cherry blossoms. They're just stunning!

      Delete