So long Facebook...

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

[via]

So tomorrow beings the first day of Lent.

I've been thinking a lot about what sacrifices I wanted to make this year and I've decided to give up both alcohol and social media...

I. KNOW. What is wrong with me?!

There's a good chance that I'll regret it when I wake up in the morning but I think in the end, it's the right choice for me this year.

Giving up alcohol is not really something I will struggle with necessarily, but I think it will make me a healthier person overall. I hope that it'll help me to limit my consumption a bit more in the future and help to create better habits down the road.

The social media one on the other hand.. that's a horse of a different color.

I am a social media addict. Period. There's no way around it. Giving up Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for 40 whole days will be rough and I'm not looking forward to it, but I guess part of me just wants to try and take what I said at the beginning of the year about focusing on doing the things I love with the people I love to the next level. I want to try to limit my distractions and learn what it's like to live without being "plugged in" 24/7 again. At least for a little while.

For a few months now, I’ve been thinking a ton about social media and how it affects our lives. I’ve read a bunch of articles and blog posts on the subject and nearly all of them discuss how negatively we are impacted. So many of them list countless reasons why we should quit social media sites and start living real, normal lives again. This post by Jenni from Story of My Life and this article were a couple of my favorites. And this little video here made a pretty interesting point as well. 

They all got me thinking...

With social media, we become different people. We stalk. We compare. We judge. We procrastinate. We become unproductive, depressed, jealous addicts with an endless supply of information right at our fingertips. It’s unhealthy.
Not everyone falls into this category but I know that I certainly do. I probably check Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram on my iPhone 20 times each every day. Most of the time there’s nothing even that interesting going on anyway. “Sally checked in at Noodles & Co.” “Josh just listened to ‘The Cave’ by Mumford & Sons on Spotify.” “Jenny posted a photo of her cat sleeping in the sun.” Who the hell cares? When did my life become everyone else’s play by play?
For me, social media has become a total time-suck and I no longer want to let it steal my motivation, my happiness, my real life connection with those I love.

That doesn't mean that I'm giving it up forever. There are a lot of good things that it provides. I've reconnected with family members and friends that I never otherwise would have had it not been for social media. I just thought that Lent would be a good time to take a step back and re-evaluate where it falls on my list of priorities. 

Now, for those wondering, I will NOT be giving up my blog. While I may want to put a little distance between me and my phone, I don't want to stop blogging. I think cutting out all of those other sites might actually help me to focus on my writing - which is a much better outlet for me - instead.
Let the withdrawal symptoms begin! Happy Shrove Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I found some other relevant news which is more effective You can also check in Here :---- iTel mobile dialer

    ReplyDelete