DIY Rustic Wine Racks

Thursday, April 17, 2014

With the warmer weather slowly starting to ease its way in, Mike and I have been trying to take advantage of every opportunity we get to work outside. (You know, when it's not snowing in April...)

We were glad that we had a chance to complete this wine rack project over the weekend and I thought it might be fun to share how we did it!

I originally saw the idea on Pinterest (of course) and thought the racks would be perfect in our dining room. We have a small metal wine rack that we got as a wedding gift that we still intend to keep because it's so pretty, but it only holds nine bottles. Now to most people, nine bottles of wine might seem like a lot but let's get real here. If you know anything about me and my wine obsession, you know that's not nearly enough space. When I go to pour myself a glass, I like to have lots of options to choose from, and with all the tasty reds and whites out there, it's pretty easy to fill up a small rack.

So when I saw a few pictures online of these gorgeous, rustic wine racks made of pallets, I just had to have a set of my own.


As a side note, they do sell these racks on Etsy but they are anywhere from $50 to $100 each and that doesn't include shipping. Considering that Mike and I got our pallet for free and overall spent less than $20 making them ourselves, in my opinion it's definitely not worth the hefty price tag.

I also like how many different types of plans are out there. You can cut the pallets in a bunch of different ways, stain or paint the racks, add slots for wine glasses, and change the plans to fit your space however you want.

For the project we chose, you only need a few things: a pallet, some basic tools, wood stain, and some big deck screws. We used this little graphic from the Orchard Girls as our guide when we cut the pallet.


We made the same cuts on both sides of the pallet so that we could make two racks instead of just one. After we had our pieces cut, we added one of the extra boards to the bottom of each rack and screwed them in place.





At that point, all the hard labor was basically finished. All we had left was to sand the whole thing down inside and out so that there were no rough edges, wipe away all the dust, add two coats of stain, and voila!

 


This project took us a bit longer than expected but that was probably because we had to spread it out over a few weeks due to the fluctuating temperatures. We also wanted to air the racks out quite a bit before bringing them into the house with the strong stain smell. Doing it in the summer might have been a better option, but I think they still turned out really well!

6 comments:

  1. i love this project! One of my best friends just made these as well and said it was one of the best DIY projects she has ever completed. You are inspiring me to give it a shot too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! I am so happy with how they turned out and it really was so easy and a lot of fun to put together!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you guys are so clever! I love a good DIY, it makes my fingers itch to do some myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were so much fun to make and didn't actually require that much labor - my favorite kinds of DIY projects are the easy ones for sure! haha

      Delete