Our Little Garden Update

Friday, June 20, 2014

One of the first things I couldn't wait to do when we bought our house last year in July was to put in a garden. Of course, as is true with all new homeowners, we ended up buried for months under mountains of boxes. By the time we finally sorted through everything, put away what we wanted to keep, and sold or donated what we didn't, it was November and a garden was not an option.

So this Spring I was chomping at the bit to put one in. For many reasons...

One, we are trying hard to start learning how to grow and preserve our own organic produce. After reading all kinds of awesome (and eye-opening) food books like Food Rules and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, we wanted to try to do our best to become self-sufficient with our fruits and veggies and start purchasing from local farms what we couldn't grow or raise ourselves.

Two, there is nothing like starting to prep a meal and slipping out the back door for some fresh tomatoes and basil, or cucumbers and cilantro, or picking your very own summer strawberries. I just love having the convenience of a garden full of delicious fruits and veggies only a few steps away.

Three, it's on my 101 list! Woohoo, time to cross this baby off!

#1 - Put in a garden space.

And I have to say, we've definitely made some progress since we first planted back in May!

May 2014

June 2014

Although our garden may be small for now, it's perfect for us. We also hope to keep expanding slowly every year so that we don't overplant and waste anything. We want to learn to keep up with what we plant before we end up with forty-seven giant squash or six different varieties of tomatoes that we can't use fast enough or figure out what to do with.

If you're interested in starting a garden, I highly recommend checking out Mel Bartholomew's book on Squre Foot Gardening. It is by far the simplest, most efficient, and in my opinion best way to garden. I can't wait to build more boxes down the road!

4 comments:

  1. that's such a neat idea! I'm a bit of a black thumb myself, but I will definitely give it a shot whenever we have a backyard. Good luck with yours - it's looking great already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's been a lot of fun so far. And I really do recommend the SFG method - there is nothing out there that's easier!

      Delete
  2. OMG I love this little garden idea!!! I love living in the city but I would kill for a little garden. So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I hear ya- when we lived in our apartment before this house we didn't even have a balcony. I was dying without ANY outdoor space. You should try growing herbs indoors though! :)

      Delete