Bengie's Drive-In

Friday, July 11, 2014


For me, summer has always been the best time for enjoying the outdoors. Whether we are hiking, camping, fishing, swimming, dining al fresco, or even just strolling down Main St. in Annapolis, Mike and I love to spend time outside as much as possible while the weather is warm.

And as of last week, we now officially have a new favorite summertime outdoor activity!

We went for the first time up to Middle River to experience a night out at Bengie's Drive-In Movie Theater and it was a blast!




We arrived pretty early since it was a Friday night and we weren't sure how long the lines would get (which we realized was a great decision later on when the crowds arrived). When we got there, we paid only $10 per person which included two shows. We saw Maleficent and the new Transformers movie. Later on in the summer, when the sun sets a little earlier, they show three movies, so we'll definitely have to go back!

They allow you to bring all your own food and drinks in for a small fee but since this was our first time, we hit up the snack bar.

My only complaint would be the insanely long wait-time to get food. We stood in line for literally 45 minutes to get popcorn and drinks. I'm also pretty sure the cashiers only have one credit card machine and it was super slow. If you plan to buy food there, I would definitely recommend making sure you stock up before the shows to avoid multiple trips and maybe bring cash, too.



We sat outside and watched the sunset and when the stars began to come out, the first show got started. Some people brought radios to tune in and watch the movies from outside their cars or in the back of their pick-ups (that's how you hear the movie - through FM radio) but most people stayed in their cars with the windows down. We were actually able to sit outside for the first movie and just listen on everyone else's radios, but for the second movie we moved to the car because it was getting a little chilly.

We really enjoyed both movies but I have to say, one of my favorite parts was getting to see the little vintage clips before, after, and between the movies. They have kept the same introductions and classic cartoons that they used to play back in the 50s and still use them today. It was so neat!

This has been on my bucket list for quite some time and I'm so glad we finally got to make it happen!

So excited to check this one off my 101 list
 
#36 - Go to a drive-in movie theater.
 
I can't wait to head back up there again!

6 comments:

  1. oh my, how fun is that?! I don't really have a list (I tend to become a bit obnoxious trying to complete it) but it's definitely on my plans to go to a drive-through movie at least once! Glad to know you had a great experience. will try to find sth here around my area this summer too! :)

    what did you think of Transformers? We felt the explosions were great, but the dialogues and one of the most important part of the new machines was totally forgotten on the final fight scenes.. oh well. Dying to see Maleficent though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly felt the same way about Transformers! It was just not the same as the others! Maleficent was fantastic though - so worth checking out! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Me too! It's amazing that I'd never been before this - I can't wait to go again!

      Delete
  3. Bengies is 5 minutes from my house! I love it. I haven't been able to go yet this year but I hope to next week! Glad you had a fun time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh awesome! You're so lucky to be so close! :)

      Delete