Greek Summer Salad

Thursday, July 17, 2014

One of my favorite things about summertime is enjoying all kinds of fresh produce. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, peaches, berries - you name it - I am obsessed. And now that we have our own garden, it's nice to be able to walk out back and pick things we need for dinner without having to run to the store.

When I was a kid, I remember eating tomatoes straight from the garden while playing in the yard. When one was just ripe enough, I'd pick it, run to the hose, wash it off, and bite into it like an apple. Sometimes my mom and I would sprinkle a little salt on them, too, and I swear, they were probably some of the most delicious tomatoes I've ever tasted. There's just something special about food you've grown yourself. I've been so tempted to do the same thing with our garden now and I've had to restrain myself from gobbling everything up before taking it inside!

Right now, we have loads of tomoatoes beginning to ripen and a few cucumbers that should be ready for picking in the coming weeks. I've been dying to pluck them, take them inside, and throw them into some sort of fresh summer salad, so I'm pretty sure this greek salad recipe will be just perfect when the time comes!

[via]

Greek Summer Salad

Ingredients

For the salad:
3-1/2 cups sliced cucumbers (about 1 large English cucumber or 2 regular-sized cucumbers)
1/2 cup sliced yellow onion
2 cups chopped tomatoes (about 4 Roma tomatoes)
1 small can sliced black olives, drained (2.25 ounce drained weight)
4 ounces crumbled feta cheese

For the vinaigrette:
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
1 teaspoon pepper (more or less, to taste)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon poppy seeds

Directions
1. Place salad ingredients in a large bowl. Toss gently to combine.

2. Place dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Drizzle over salad. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate

No comments:

Post a Comment