Hawaiian Blackberry Mojito

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

After the week I had last week and the horrible exam I took last night, I need a drink.

I essentially spent the last seven days with my nose buried in a textbook only to get to our last (and biggest thus far) exam and be tested on only half the things I studied. Thankfully, from the looks on my classmate's faces, I was clearly not the only one who had a rough time. It's hard when there's so much material and our professor gives no indication of what may or may not be important. You have no choice but to try and memorize it all and hope for the best. Maybe he'll curve this one? Since no one looked confident, there may be a chance. We'll see. Worst case scenario, I end up with a B going into the final, but I'm hoping that will go much better than this last test so that I can still squeeze out an A. We at least get a sheet of notes for that one and it's not timed like everything else. Ugh, no fun, I tell you.

So, after the insanity last night, the first thing I wanted when I got home was a giant cocktail. Unfortunately, it was almost 10:30PM on a Monday night, and somehow downing a tall glass (or four, because let's be real - who's stopping at one glass?) of anything alcoholic seemed vastly inappropriate - especially with the 5:45AM alarm I had set for this morning.

Instead, I figured I'd wait until tonight so that I could take the time to really reward myself with something special and super tasty!

Enter, the Hawaiian Blackberry Mojito.

[via]

Hawaiian Blackberry Mojito

Ingredients
6 blackberries, crushed
1 oz fresh lime juice
1 1/2 oz white rum (optional)
4 fresh mint leaves
3-4 oz sparkling water
large handful of ice

Directions
1. In a glass, crush blackberries with a muddler to extract the juice.
2. Using a mesh strainer, strain seeds and pulp leaving only blackberry juice.
3. In a tall glass, muddle mint leaves with lime juice to extract flavor.
4. Add in blackberry juice and rum, giving a quick stir to mix. Add a handful of ice and top with sparkling water. Garnish with a slice of lime or a blackberry.

NOTES: To save time, you can prepare the blackberry juice ahead of time and keep in in a glass jar in the refrigerator. The rum adds a bit of sweetness, if choosing to omit you may want to add a drizzle of raw honey to contrast the tart berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment