10 Things I Wish I Told Myself When I Started Blogging - Blog Challenge Day 6

Monday, October 6, 2014

[via]

I haven't been a blogger for all that long but there are most certainly things I wish I had known when I first got started with The Life We've Imagined.

1. PROOFREAD PROOFREAD PROOFREAD. This cannot be said enough. I naturally edit everything I read since my brain seems to be wired that way, but I wish I would have taken more time to do this when I first got started.

2. Be yourself and find your own voice. Don't try to be like anyone else. Yes, there are a lot of awesome bloggers out there that produce a lot of super awesome stuff but don't copy them. Don't try to blog exactly like they do. You have a voice of your very own. Just do you.

3. When someone comments, comment back. This is really sad but I never used to respond to comments or check out the blogs of those who were commenting for the first few months of blogging. It's kind of dumb but I didn't really know that I should. I think I was just so excited that people were actually reading my stuff and following along that I completely forgot that they too would probably want their own work to be read and followed. You can't have a blogging "community" if it's just one sided.

4. Learn to use a DSLR. Pictures really are everything. Of course, smartphones are getting really fancy now so this may not be necessarily true in a few years, but I think investing in a DSLR is a good idea if you have a blog. I've been learning to use mine in "manual" mode for the last year or so and while I still post a lot of instagram photos here, it makes such a difference when you use a real camera. I hope that one day, I can post exclusively photos I've taken with my DSLR.

5. Don't feel pressure to blog every day. If you miss a day, or a week, don't apologize. Sometimes things happen. Life is crazy. We all understand that. I hate seeing bloggers apologizing to their readers for taking time off and dropping off the radar for a bit. I used to apologize too, and while it's probably good to acknowledge your absence, I don't think anyone should have to feel sorry for real life taking priority.

6. Be patient if no one follows you at first. You may not have a ton of readers right from the start and that's totally OKAY! (I still don't but that doesn't stop me!) Keep going anyway.

7. Haters gonna hate. There will always be internet trolls. Don't give them the fight they want.

8. Just like in school, cite your sources. If it's on your blog and you didn't come up with the idea, take the photo, or write the recipe be sure to give credit to the people who did. You would want the same if someone was using your material!

9. Don't be a Debby Downer. Everyone has moments of frustration and anger and it's perfectly fine to share them, but if every single post you write is negative, people will stop reading. I've come across bloggers who do nothing but complain and while I try to sympathize for a while, it's really hard to relate to them and at some point I lose interest.

10. HAVE FUN! Last but not least, ENJOY blogging - don't let it become a chore!

Helene in Between Blogtober

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I just wanted to say I love the layout and look/ design of your blog! It's so gorgeous :) And I haven't been blogging for too long either so reading all these is great.. I'm picking up so many tips and advice!
    http://alovetriangle.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Charlotte! These link-ups are so great for meeting people and getting little tips from other bloggers. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. What a great list Laura! I especially agree with # 3, 7 and 10 - the point is to have fun, not add another job to our day job! It took me a while as well to figure out the whole commenting culture, I was like you - so excited to get a comment, that it didn't occur to me to check out their blog as well. Live and learn, this link-up is great for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Miriam! You're so right. And I'm so glad I joined the link-up, it's always great to meet so many new people!

      Delete