Dream Jobs - Blogtober Challenge Day 2

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Blogtober Day 2: What was your dream job when you were little? What is it now?

When I was thinking about what to write for this post, I considered lying and saying something normal like a doctor or a teacher to save myself from embarrassment, but the truth is that when I was little, I used to tell my parents all the time that I wanted to be a backup dancer.

I blame 90's pop music.
Damn you, Britney.

Now, let's keep in mind that I had approximately ZERO dance experience, except for that year I spent at Dancer's Dreams Dance Studio when I was five years old. We performed "Catch a Falling Star" in little purple tutus and I dropped out after our recital because I claimed that "the tap dancing was too loud for my ears."

Look at that form!

As I got older and pop music began to take over the world, my feelings for dance began to change. I would see my favorite boy bands on TV, (N*SYNC all the way baby) and I would literally spend hours studying them, learning the moves, and "performing" in front of my audience of stuffed animals and American girl dolls.

If this is hard for you to imagine, since nowadays the only "dancing" we see in music videos or live performances generally involves a bunch of fist pumping or suggestive gyrating while wearing a foam finger and a giant teddy bear backpack (I'm looking at you, Miley) let me provide you with an example...


Okay, so there were no backup dancers in that video. I'm aware of this. I just loved the fact that I found a video of N*SYNC on TRL. God, the nostalgia. And the bucket hats!

Here's a better example.


I mean come onnn. Who wouldn't want to get paid to do that?!

Obviously, my dreams of becoming a backup dancer never amounted to much beyond my in-home performances. Instead, I ended up going to college and getting a degree in Biotechnology. (Totally similar, I know.) I think in the end though, I was still able to find and follow my true passion even though it turned out to be a little less glamorous.

As far as my dream job today? I would have to say that I think I'm pretty close to it right now.

While I have plenty of rough days that make me want to throw in the towel, I still work for one of the top research universities in the world. I get to learn from some of the best doctors in the business, collaborate with some of the brightest, most intelligent people I've ever met, and every day I get to work for a chance to contribute an important piece to the puzzle that is modern medicine. I'm helping people and that's all that matters.


Helene in Between

2 comments:

  1. I went through this same stage!!! I loved watching these videos just now, brings back so many memories of growing up in the 90s!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it was crazy finding them on Youtube! I never knew they were out there!

      Delete