Book Review: Chasers of the Light

Friday, January 30, 2015

Book # 9 - Chasers of the Light by Tyler Knott Gregson

[image source: Goodreads]

I'll start this review off with a confession: I don't normally read poetry.

This is actually the first full book of poetry I've read since the 11th grade when I took AP Literature with Mrs. Postlethwaite and we were reading Byron, Keats, Shelley and the like.

However, I've always had sort of a subtle passion for it and I have to say that since reading this collection, I've put nearly a dozen more books of poetry on my list to read because I loved it so much.

If you are on Pinterest like me, you have probably even seen some of Gregson's poems but didn't realize it. That's at least where I first fell in love with his work. The ones most frequently posted there are from this collection, The Typewriter Series. Once I found out that he also had a blog and a book, I was so excited to check them out and start following along.

He is immensely talented and seems to have a knack for capturing the beauty that hides in the smallest, simplest moments. Most of the poems are about love and romance so anyone who has been in love or even lost great love will strongly identify with his work. While the book is just a collection of some of the deepest and best of the series, he now has more than a thousand of these typewriter poems and you better believe I'm trying to read every single one! Ha! I hope you will too!

Summary (source)
One day, while browsing an antique store in Helena, Montana, photographer Tyler Knott Gregson stumbled upon a vintage Remington typewriter for sale. Standing up and using a page from a broken book he was buying for $2, he typed a poem without thinking, without planning, and without the ability to revise anything.

He fell in love.

Three years and almost one thousand poems later, Tyler is now known as the creator of the Typewriter Series: a striking collection of poems typed onto found scraps of paper or created via blackout method. Chasers of the Light features some of his most insightful and beautifully worded pieces of work—poems that illuminate grand gestures and small glimpses, poems that celebrate the beauty of a life spent chasing the light.

My Review
What I loved
1. Gregson is so good at what he does, I actually cried after reading some of the poems. Not necessarily because they were sad, because there are some sad ones for sure, but I was actually struck by how deeply I felt what he was describing. He has the ability to evoke an incredible range of emotions from even something as short and sweet as a haiku. His words are powerful and he certainly knows how to use them.

2. I absolutely loved the idea behind the actual typewriter series. I love seeing the words hacked out on vintage scraps of paper from an old school Remington. It adds another layer of simplicity and beauty to his work.

3. There are only so many ways I can say, "His poems are beautiful. They made me cry. You should read them." So instead of repeating myself over and over, I decided to post a few of my favorites from the series to give you an idea of what to expect.








What I didn't love
1. Not a thing, my friends. What's there to dislike about romantic poetry?

Rating
5 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I don't usually read much poetry but that last one that you posted in particular has me sighing and vowing to change my non-poetry reading ways. :) Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I really enjoyed it and I hope I get to read more soon!

      Delete