Homemade Granola

Tuesday, January 13, 2015


Winter does this thing to me sometimes. It kind of feels like nesting. Not that I'm pregnant or have ever been pregnant to know what nesting feels like, but if I had to guess, I'd say this feeling is pretty close.

When the weather outside is icy and frigid, I get this urge to do things around the house. I bake, I cook, I clean, I organize, I decorate. I have no idea where it comes from, but I like it. It keeps me occupied in this lull between classes when it's too dark to go anywhere.

My latest endeavor has been making homemade granola, so I thought I'd share a little recipe today for anyone else that may be thinking of trying it.

My favorite part about making your own granola is that you get to decide what goes in it! The process is so easy and there are so many things you can add! My favorite so far has been dried cranberries, walnuts, and extra cinnamon. Uh-mazing. And I've also gotten into the habit of sprinkling in a few chia seeds and ground flax seed to make it even healthier.

We like to eat the granola either as a little afternoon snack, when we go hiking, or on top of some vanilla greek yogurt and berries as breakfast in the morning. It's so much fun to experiment and I am hoping to try a couple different kinds of oats next! I hope you give it a shot!

Homemade Granola

Ingredients
3 cups of rolled oats
3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup diced dried fruit
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts or seeds
Feel free to add whatever you like!

Directions
Heat the oven to 300°F and arrange a rack in the middle.

Place the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine; set aside.

Place the honey, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl and stir to combine. Pour over the oat mixture and mix until the oats are thoroughly coated. Spread the mixture in a thin, even layer on a rimmed baking sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes, then stir and continue baking until the granola is very light golden brown, about 5 to 15 minutes more. Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and cool the granola to room temperature, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. It should harden as it cools. Add the fruit, nuts, seeds, etc. and toss together.

You can enjoy it right away or store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.

9 comments:

  1. Yayyy! So glad you posted this! I eat granola every single morning on my yogurt but it's the store bought stuff- I really need to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do the same but then I discovered how easy it actually is and I'm never going back haha :)

      Delete
  2. Yum, it sounds delicious! Extra cinnamon? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I feel like I put cinnamon on everything these days. Sooo yummy!

      Delete
  3. This sounds so good! I always say I will make granola but never get around to buying all the ingredients :) I'm pinning your version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot easier than I thought it would be! I hope you try it! :)

      Delete
  4. This looks so tasty! I'll have to make some.

    I'm a new follower, thanks to Miriam's link up. :) I may go stalk your archives and see what you think about books and classic movies (two of my most favorite things in the world).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thanks for stopping by! It's nice to meet you and I hope you enjoy poking around!

      And agreed - classic movies and book are two of the BEST things in the world! :)

      Delete
  5. I need to save this for later, looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete