'Impossible things are happening every day'

Wednesday, January 21, 2015



“There are so many people that use 'following your dreams' as an excuse to not work. When in reality, following your dreams, successfully, is nothing but work.”
- Brandon Stanton

Until recently, I'm not sure I understood what this quote truly meant.

Yesterday, for the very first time, I gave one of the biggest presentations of my career in front of a large group of people who are all way more intelligent and way more qualified to understand what I was presenting than I am.

It was both terrifying and thrilling at the same time.

I had been physically preparing for 9:00AM on Tuesday, January 20th for weeks, but mentally preparing for months and months. I knew it was going to be intense and being the perfectionist that I am, I went through quite a few mental battles leading up to this day.

When I first received the assignment, I actually told my boss that I wouldn't do it. I was that scared. I sat in his office and repeated the word "no" firmly at least five times. But after a good thirty minutes of encouragement and reassurance, I agreed to consider it. The days and weeks afterward ticked by and once we hit 2015, I knew there was no way I could back out. So I had no choice but to dig deep and start working.

My biggest fear in all of this turned out to be rooted only in the doubt I had in myself. I was mostly freaking out about looking like a fool and being torn to shreds in front of everyone I look up to professionally, but somewhere during those 60 minutes up there in front of everyone, I realized that I not only could absolutely handle what I had been given but I was determined not to let a single person prove otherwise. And it was exhilarating.

In the end, I could not be more pleased with how it all turned out. I gave the presentation yesterday, and although I was really shaky in the beginning, I found my groove and actually ended up really enjoying the whole thing. No one yelled at me, no one threw things, and everyone actually seemed genuinely interested.

The funny part is that, to everyone else in that room, the presentation was not that big of a deal, but to me, it meant everything.

To me, it meant that not only did I have the courage to push myself outside of my comfort zone but once I was there, I could actually succeed. I'm tougher than I think I am. I'm stronger than I think I am. And following my dreams may mean more work, more pushing, more sweat and tears, and a lot more time outside of my comfort zone, but at the end of the day it is so, so worth it.

6 comments:

  1. Good for you! You should definitely pat yourself on the back - facing a fear and rocking a challenge is such a boost. Congrats on a job very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It felt so good just to get through it and know that I made it out alive. It makes me happy to have learned something from it too!

      Delete
  2. Great job! It's awesome you were able to take all of that fear and nervousness and turn it into a awesome presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing, congratulations! There's no better feeling than when hard work pays off. And you conquered a fear! Double win. I love the quote you used in the beginning, how true it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! And the quote is one of my favorites - it's by the photographer behind Humans Of New York which I love equally as much. He's a pretty cool and insightful guy!

      Delete