The Year Without A Resolution

Wednesday, January 7, 2015


Resolutions. Do you make them? 

Every year I say the same thing. I'm going to get organized. I'm going to start exercising more. I'm going to be more intentional with my time and money. But every year, come February, it's like I never made a resolution in the first place. The spirit may be willing but the flesh is weak, if you know what I mean. 

Last year, I decided to forego the laundry list of habits to change and instead put my efforts into a single motto: learn to appreciate what I have by doing more of what I love. 

Looking back on the events of 2014, I'd like to think I was fairly successful. 

We tried to spend as many of our free moments as we could with our friends and family. We had bonfires, crab feasts, breakfasts, game nights, movie nights, lunch dates, and dinner parties. Anything we could do find time to laugh a little more and enjoy the company of the people we love most.









We started a bunch of projects on our house both inside and out, and slowly but surely, we've been creating a home that we love. We hung up our hammock, demoed the basement, built a fire pit, grew our first organic square foot garden, and started decorating each room in the house. 






We partied it up with our friends as much as we could since, well, you're only young once and these are the years for making those crazy memories...








I challenged myself to tackle as many things on my 101 list as I could. Some of my favorite memories were learning to drive stick, going to my first drive-in movie, getting accepted to Hopkins to start my Master's degree, and taking a huge trip to Washington State to visit family and stay in a tree house.





We joined the committee for an organization that we are extremely passionate about - Pacing for Parkinson's - and we had such a wonderful time meeting so many incredible people with such amazing stories. Volunteering and giving back to others is something that Mike and I think is very important, so finding a group that we love was such a bonus!





So what about this year? 

Well, truthfully, I don't know if I'm going to change anything. To be perfectly honest, I like where my life is right now and I think I'm just going to keep on keepin' on as they say. 

We'll travel a little more, spend more time with friends and family, keep working on the house, cross off plenty more 101 goals, and keep volunteering with P4P, but in general, if 2015 turns out to be just like 2014, I can't complain.

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful 2014!! I'm thinking intentions instead of resolutions this year. I love the 101 list, it's so fun to check off those items we always talk about but don't do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope next year is just as fun! It's funny when you go back and start to collect all the pictures and you start realizing how great of a year it actually was. And I love your 101 list too! They're so much fun :)

      Delete
  2. What great pictures - looks like you had an amazing year! I keep thinking I need to do a 101 list, i love making lists after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And we have the list-making thing in common! You should definitely start a 101 - it's been so much fun to push myself to try so many new things that I've always wanted to do!

      Delete
  3. I love the concept of appreciating what you already have and doing what you love. That's sort of my motto for this year: Do what you love. And I'm super-jealous that you got to stay in a tree house, that's my absolute dream! Definitely on my bucket list. Here's to a happy 2015, filled with great new memories!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course :) Thanks for hosting it!

      And thank you! The tree house was so much fun - I highly recommend it if you ever make your way down to the Seattle area!

      Delete
  4. If I make em I break em, so I have left that tradition in the past

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I don't know if I'll ever go back! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. Love love love this! I didn't make resolutions this year- instead I decided to be more open minded. Whether that's listening to a new idea at work or traveling to a new place. Realistic goals are where it's at ;)
    I loved looked at pictures from the last year! You look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! :) And that's a great idea for the new year! I think we all end up more successful if we just focus on one feeling that we'd like to try to achieve. It seems to work better that way!

      Delete
  6. Stopping by from the Let's Grow Together link up - this looked like 2014 was a great year! I don't make resolutions either. I give myself little goals so I feel like I achieve something but nothing overwhelming. This past year I decided I need to learn to live in the moment so that's just what I did... and I am not going to stop.

    ReplyDelete