Weekends From Scratch

Tuesday, January 27, 2015




This past weekend, for the first time ever, I made not just one but two things that I've always wanted to make from scratch - French bread and PIZZA!

I added them to my 101 list a while back and honestly, I thought I'd never actually make them since I've always assumed that making any sort of bread from scratch was really hard. But this weekend, I discovered that homemade bread is actually one of the easiest things to make!

I don't why I've always thought that it was tricky - perhaps because of the dense, icky breads I've gotten from bread makers (?) - but we had so much fun with it!

Friday night we tackled the pizza dough. I bought Mike a pizza stone for Christmas and he's been dying to break it in, so before I went home on Friday night, I popped over to the store to pick up some bread flour and yeast and then came home to surprise him.

He made a cheesy, pepperoni pizza, and I made one with fresh mozz, basil, and sun-dried tomatoes. They were insanely good!


We are planning to try a flatbread next, so I'll be sure to post some better pictures of those.

Then on Saturday, I got up early to throw together some crock-pot vegetable soup and I figured having some warm French bread to go with it would be perfect for the crappy weather we were expecting. I made two loaves - one for us and one to give to my parents - and now that I know how easy it is, I plan to start experimenting with all kinds of different breads! We are also hoping to try making our own pasta in the near future as well. My waistline is doomed.

Bring on the carbs!

11 comments:

  1. Mmm, tasty! The pizza looks so good. I wouldn't mind a slice of that right now! Did you use any special recipes?

    When I was in college I loved making homemade bread. I should start doing it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! I wish I had more for lunch today haha

      For the pizza dough I used the bobby flay recipe found here:
      http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe.html

      For the bread, I used the recipe found here:
      http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2014/10/easy-homemade-french-bread-recipe.html

      I loved that they all only took a couple of hours to make (no overnight rising or anything like that). You should totally try them out! :)

      Delete
  2. Ahhh! That looks so good! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally need to try making the pizza! It was sooo good!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow those look so yummy!! I love homemade pizza :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And they really were tasty :) I can't wait to make more haha

      Delete
  4. That, right there, is my absolute food dream weekend. Homemade pizza AND bread? Heavenly! I LOVE bread and pizza (no low-carb nonsense for me!), and there is nothing more delicious than warm bread with hot soup or pizza. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREED! It's tempting me to try it every weekend haha

      Delete
  5. that looks so good! i've only just had breakfast and now i'm craving bread again! and the first picture is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The kneading was probably the most fun - well I guess aside from the eating part haha :) I can't wait to make more!

      Delete
  6. The pizza and bread both look so good! Did you hand-knead the bread? My husband makes baguettes sometimes but we use the dough hook on the mixer. Pasta is easy to make, it's just bit of a process. I feel like you need two people to get it through the pasta roller, one to feed it through and the other to crank the roller.

    ReplyDelete