How low can you go?

Friday, February 20, 2015


The surface of my desk is officially 9 degrees Celsius. That's about 48 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm not kidding. Trust me, I'm a scientist. I measured.


If that doesn't sound that cold to you, then for reference, room temperature is on average about 23-25 degrees Celsius or around 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit. And the discrepancy between the temperature of an average room and the actual temperature of my desk has now cost me the feeling in both my hands and my feet.

It's safe to say that America is freezing.

I read in the paper yesterday that there have been more than twenty deaths due to the cold temps so far this year in Maryland. Twenty! I couldn't believe it.

This morning when I left the house, it was a high of 5 degrees with a wind chill that felt like -12. I know I shouldn't be complaining since I have friends up in Boston and Maine that are still dealing with 4-6 feet of snow on top of the frigid temps, but I am so sick of winter I can't help it.

I'm glad that I was able to get down to warmer weather for a few days but now I'm starting to feel like it was just a major tease. I mean just the other day I was wearing a bikini and flip-flops and now I am sitting here typing this wearing TWO pairs of pants (leggings under my jeans), two pairs of socks, three shirts, a sweater, and a lab coat - and I'm still freezing!

Ugh, all I know is that I'm glad that Lent has officially started because for me, that begins the countdown to Spring.

Happy (freezing) Friday to you all!

2 comments:

  1. Sooo cold! Yuck. I keep reading about these super cool temps and seeing pictures on Instagram and I'm sympathetic but also clueless because I live in New Mexico and today our low is 34 and our high is - wait for it - 73. Crazy right? Right now it's 50 and sunny.

    I hope that it warms up quickly wherever you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I envy that 50 degrees, haha! I've never longed for the 30s in my life but today I would do anything to just get back to freezing! Enjoy that sun for me! :)

      Delete