From Snowy Maryland to Sunny Florida and Back Again

Thursday, February 19, 2015

This Valentine's Day was the first that Mike and I have ever spent apart since we met. We don't really celebrate the holiday with too much excitement anyway, but we decided that spending three days off of work together in Orlando while Mike was there on business would totally trump the typical flowers and candy - even if it was a couple days late.

He had to be down there Sunday through Wednesday for a conference and since my grandparents live about two hours away from Orlando, I decided to fly in early and spend the first couple of days with them before meeting up with him. I really enjoyed having a Valentine's dinner with my grandma and it was wonderful catching up with her.


I was even lucky enough to get to visit with my grandpa (who is the inspiration behind our work with Pacing for Parkinson's) for a short time. Unfortunately, his Parkinson's is advancing quite rapidly and he slept most of the time I was there. He did wake up a few times and I felt better knowing that at least he knew I had come to visit him. He told me he loved me and we talked for only a few moments, but any time with him is extremely special to me, so I was very glad I got it.


It was hard to say goodbye to them both, but I'm hoping maybe Mike and I can find the time to take a trip down there later this year before our trip to Costa Rica.

Orlando was absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the Hilton and like all of my experiences with the Hilton hotels, it was luxurious. They had three pools, a lazy river, a waterslide, fire pits, a putting green, a spa and gym, and all kinds of nice restaurants - all within the hotel! I felt so spoiled to get to enjoy drinks by the pool while Mike was in meetings during the day!








He did get to spend some time with me nearly every afternoon though!



The whole time we were there, it was snowing up at home, so we were really glad to skip the storms. But of course, when we got home, the transition from 80 degrees back to 8 degrees was not fun.

While the trip was short overall, it was still wonderful to be able to escape the cold for a bit and soak up the Florida sun. I think we may have to make this a February tradition!

6 comments:

  1. That hotel looks amazing! So glad you were able to get away from the cold Baltimore weather. The -5 today is not fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seriously was! I wish I never had to leave!

      Delete
  2. Next time, don't be surprised if I sneak into your suitcase!! This MD weather is driving me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha girl, you are totally welcome! This winter has been brutal!

      Delete
  3. oh I would love to tag along to a work trip in Orlando!! looks like you guys had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was so much fun! I wish I was still there, though - this cold is just too much to handle!

      Delete