Red buds

Monday, March 30, 2015

Around this time every year, I start to feel this wave of excitement growing inside me.

Spring is around the corner.

Yes, I know that technically Spring is already here and has been for more than a week. But two days ago we had snowflakes falling from the sky, so for me, the vernal equinox means nothing. 

In my mind, the first true mark of springtime is not the little crocuses and jonquils poking their brightly colored heads out of the ground. It's not the return of the morning songbirds or evening peepers.  

The real sign lies within the tips of the trees.


Red buds.

Red buds mean that Spring has finally arrived. 

As we were driving back this weekend from spending time with family in Delaware, I spent most of the trip home gazing out the window at the trees that lined the roadside. As we passed farm after farm, I smiled, because in the distance, while the trees look barren to most, I could see the faintest hint of red emerging from their limbs. That fiery fringe was a welcome sight.

The wait is almost over. 

8 comments:

  1. Ahh, spring is a delight. A big sigh of relief. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! SO nice after this crazy winter we've had here in the northeast!

      Delete
  2. Love this post. You are such a great writer! The mention of Delaware didn't hurt it either ;) I'm getting so antsy for two weekends from now, cherry blossoms in DC! Steve and I are going to wake up early and check them out at sunrise before all the crazies arrive and then enjoy brunch somewhere close by. There's nothing like a canopy of pink blossoms over your head to remind you that the cold doesn't stay forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! And I LOVE going to see the cherry blossoms in DC every year :) I never thought about going at sunrise to beat the crowds! That's a brilliant idea because it's nuts out there most of the day!

      Delete
  3. Spring is such a joyful and beautiful season, I'm so glad it has arrived in your corner of the world. The smell is the best, don't you think? That fresh, sweet spring smell is so uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It's so refreshing after a long winter!

      Delete
  4. I agree with you it is not spring until the buds have started to sprung

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I'm so excited for the warmer weather too :)

      Delete