Baltimore Uprising.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

As I'm sure many have seen, my home state has made national news nearly every night this week.
 
"Baltimore Is Burning As Riots Erupt Following Death of Freddie Gray"



"Governor Hogan Declares State Of Emergency, Activates National Guard"



"Baltimore On Lockdown After Night of Violent Rioting"
 

 
This city is in pain in so many ways.

Of course I have opinions. This is my city. I was born here. I work here. I love to spend time here. But, instead of ranting on about my feelings on this blog or all over social media, I found myself only able to sit back and watch in shock as the whole thing unfolded.

There are deep rooted fears and frustrations on every side of this argument and while I fully understand that, I absolutely do not believe that illegal destruction of property will in any way engender a culture of change.

Tearing apart the streets, homes, businesses, and community centers that were built for and by the hard working people of Baltimore will do nothing to solve the issues at hand. Vandalism begets chaos, not progress.

But amidst all of the rioting and negative media coverage, stories slowly began to emerge that portrayed the Baltimore I know and love.



Clergy walking through the streets, preaching peace, working to quell the violence. Volunteers stocking up on gatorade and water for men and women in uniform. Businesses offering free meals to those working all night to keep the peace. Baltimore locals teaming up to clean up the streets. Rival gang members coming together, publicly urging the violence to stop. Residents lining up to shield police from protestors throwing rocks and bricks.




Baltimore is a rough town. I won't pretend that it's not. But there's something greater at work here than just the violence you see on TV. Aside from the drugs and the gangs and the violence, there is good here. There are good people here. There has always been a deep-rooted sense of pride in this city, no matter which side of the street you grew up on. There's nothing like it anywhere else in the world. And as I saw people posting stories about the movement to rebuild the city almost immediately after its destruction, I felt a great sense of hope.

These are not easy problems to fix. The issues at hand are tough and complex and come from places of strong emotion - on either side. But in the coming weeks, as Baltimore begins its climb out of chaos, I can only hope that these issues, now at the forefront of our minds, can be resolved before more lives (of any race) are lost.

All images courtesy of WBAL, Huffington Post, and the Associated Press.

6 comments:

  1. Baltimore is known for being a little rough but I've had wonderful times walking around the city. I hope this all ends soon, I hope justice is done. I pray for the policemen and women who are putting their lives in danger, and for all the population to keep helping. Peace will come soon - I will pray for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am standing along side you watching as our amazing city is burned, destroyed and looted. It's so sad and heartbreaking. I can only hope it gets better instead of worse like the media has suspected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm with you Macy. It absolutely breaks my heart :(

      Delete
  3. Seeing compassion, kindness and bravery amidst chaos and destruction are the images we have to hold on to. They are the bright lights in the darkness, and they give us all hope! Thinking of you and your city in these hard times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so true! Thank you so much <3

      Delete