Stuck in the Gap

Friday, May 8, 2015

A while back, I came across this video on another blog and I was struck by how closely it hit home for me. I've been hitting some roadblocks in my career and somehow this fell into my lap at exactly the right time. It's a super creative interpretation of a segment on creativity by Ira Glass.

The video is short, but packs a powerful message for anyone who is doubting themselves when it comes to doing what they love.


THE GAP by Ira Glass from Daniel Sax on Vimeo.

I think what I have come to love most about it is that his message really isn't limited to people who do creative work. While it is directed toward The Creatives, it can be molded to just about anyone, since I think we all experience this sort of "gap."

I know in my career, I have often felt the exact feelings that Ira Glass describes. Although my work is far from creative, there are so many times where I have felt stuck and all I can focus on is the insanely long road in front of me that is necessary for accomplishing my goals. I know where I want to be. I can see it. I can feel it. There are so many people that are already there and yet my current position could not feel further away from my where I want to be.

It's also tough because, in all types of work, whether it be creative, technical, or whatever, when you first get into it (especially right out of school) you are always going to be surrounded by people who are way more experienced than you, who know more than you, and that are producing the results you want to achieve on your own.

It’s so easy to feel like you want to throw in the towel. It's so easy to give into those feelings that tell you you're not good enough. It's so easy to walk away.

When you are faced with a challenge that can only be solved by hard work, it’s natural to want to give up. But that’s precisely when you need to dig deep and grind through it.

Instead of feeling inferior to the people around you or feeling like you'll never reach your full potential, look to others for advice, because whether they will admit it or not, they have all been right where you are. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Absorb what they know and allow yourself to be mentored by them, but stay focused on your goals and what you want to accomplish. Put in the work, do the legwork, and push through it. The mountains in front of you may be intimidating, but when you get to the top, it will be so worth it.

"She was unstoppable, not because she did not have failures or doubts, but because she continued on despite them."

2 comments:

  1. Hi love! I'm so sorry that you have found yourself in this confusing place! I'm with you and agree with a lot of what you said on so many levels. I won't talk about it on the blog- but Steve and I have ended our relationship and I'm also unsure of where I'm headed career wise.
    The best thing we can do is trust and have faith that answers are on their way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Megan, I'm so sorry to hear that, but I totally agree with you. We have to trust that these moments in life are only leading us to better ones. It's all a part of the journey. I'll be thinking of you <3 ::hugs::

      Delete