When your best friend gets married...

Thursday, September 10, 2015


Dear Katherine Elizabeth,

You have now officially been married for five whole days and I still can't wrap my head around it. It feels like just yesterday that we were chatting over coffee about how Tyler proposed and now, you are his wife.

I feel so incredibly lucky that you chose me to stand by your side as you vowed your eternal, unconditional love for one another. It was beautiful to witness and a scene I will cherish forever. You, my dear, were the most stunning of brides and you truly took my breath away when you started down that aisle.

It's hard to believe that 21 years have passed since the day I met you in Mrs. Reid's class.

Look at how little we were!

While I don't have any memories from that specific day (although it probably involved lots of crayons, books, snacks, walking on the silver line, and a glorious nap on our roll-out Disney nap mats) I am instead blessed with many years full of wonderful memories with you as my best friend, my shoulder to cry on, my shotgun karaoke partner, my Gilmore Girls cuddle buddy, my cookie dough supplier, and the sister I never had.

From our days playing soccer with your dad as the head coach, to eight years of band and trips with our mamas, to summer camps at Arlington Echo and all those years of girl scouts, we have been joined at the hip since the beginning. Although we don't share a bloodline, I have always felt like we came from the same family. Through the years growing up, your parents and sisters felt like my own. I'll never forget the countless times I walked through your front door without knocking like I lived upstairs, and sat down to dinner with you and your family. You all have always welcomed me in, and for that I am truly grateful.

Not a lot of people can say that they have someone in their lives that will drop everything to be there, no matter what. But I am one of the lucky ones.

Every phone call, every birthday, every breakup, every funeral - every stage of life, you have always been there for me. Even when we moved away to different colleges and we didn't see each other as often or consistently as we would have liked, we always made time for coffee dates in the Two-Toned Beast (you know it deserves to be capitalized), for road trips to no where, for shopping sprees and dinner, or even just time to hang out and do nothing.

It's hard to imagine how our lives are going to change now that we are both married and living on opposite sides of the bridge, but I can only hope that our futures continue to bring us all kinds of new adventures together as we raise families and grow older.

I want you to know that I am filled to brim with joy for you and Tyler. You deserve nothing but the best and I sincerely believe that Tyler is that missing puzzle piece. I just hope he understands when I steal you away from time to time, because there is no way I can live without my Kay Elle.

I love you so, so much. Congratulations and blessings to you both!

Love always,
Elle Jay


2 comments:

  1. What a sweet letter! The photos looked gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! And I can't wait to see the professional ones! :)

      Delete