Woodberry Kitchen

Wednesday, September 23, 2015


You guys, last night was absolutely magical.

Mike made dinner reservations at my favorite restaurant in the city - Woodberry Kitchen - to celebrate our anniversary and I could not have asked for a more beautiful evening.

Since I've fallen behind on updating my "Food Passport" with all of the restaurants we've visited, I figured I'd start here by sharing a little about one of Baltimore's gems, especially for those that have never had the pleasure of dining at Woodberry.

Woodberry Kitchen opened in 2007 in the historic Clipper Mill area of Baltimore. It sits in a rehabbed stone-front factory serving up the freshest farm-to-table goodness. The head chef, Spike Gjerde, was actually the first Baltimore chef to win a James Beard award back in May of this year. It's sort of a big deal since it's never happened before and Baltimore isn't necessarily the first city you'd think of when it comes to culinary accolades.

Since it opened, Mike and I have only been there a handful of times, but that's really only due to the distance from our home. We would be there every night if we lived in the city (and if our budget allowed). But it's the perfect spot for special occasions... just like an anniversary dinner. ;)



We started the night out on the patio by the fire and then, much to my surprise, we were lucky enough to be seated outside under the stars and the glow of the bistro lights. We've eaten here a few times but the patio is always full, so we've never been able to get a table outside. After we were seated, the waiter brought over a bottle of prosecco and poured us two glasses. I asked Mike jokingly if that was his doing (assuming the restaurant knew it was our anniversary and they had set it up) and he told me that he had planned the whole thing! I couldn't believe that he had made the arrangements for the table and the bubbly! How lucky a wife am I? He continues to impress me every day.


We started with heirloom tomatoes on toast with verjus, fresh mozarella, soft herbs, and peanut pesto as well as a bartlett pear salad. For dinner, we enjoyed lamb with egg noodles in red wine sauce and Maryland Rockfish. And of course, there was no way we could leave without dessert, so we chose fresh cream ice cream with hot fudge and toasted marshmallow on top. Truly heavenly.


For those that have yet to visit, I seriously, seriously, highly recommend it. There is no better place in Baltimore to enjoy some deliciously fresh food and relax with friends and family.

Have a fabulous Wednesday!

10 comments:

  1. This place looks amazing! Mike did such a great job of getting this all together for you too. Lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I feel SO lucky! I wish it was our anniversary every day... lol

      Delete
  2. I have heard so many wonderful things about Woodberry Kitchen but have yet to go! Maybe for our anniversary next year...or 4 months haha. That was SO sweet for Mike to make the arrangements for the table and champagne <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seriously need to try it! You'll love it! Haha and I would go with any excuse I could find ;)

      Delete
  3. Ahhh Woodberry Kitchen is on my list of places to try! These photos are gorgeous and it sounds like an incredible night. How sweet was Mike to set that up- what a good hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will absolutely love it! They're right next to artifact coffee too, so if you haven't been there either, that is also a MUST! They are owned by the same people so they are also farm-to-table and suuuuper delicious!

      Delete
  4. This is our favorite restaurant too! The food is always amazing, and the experience is great. I love that our dinners there usually turn into 2 or 3 hour occasions. We ate there on our wedding day (we got married at the courthouse, so it was just the two of us) and they went above and beyond to help us celebrate. If you've never been for brunch, that's also a delicious experience. I only wish our budget allowed us to eat there more regularly too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO sweet! What a wonderful place to celebrate your wedding day! And I totally agree, our meals are so relaxing and drawn out when we eat there. I think we were there for nearly 3 hours this night too. I have never been for brunch but I follow them on Instagram and I'm always drooling over everything they post. I will definitely have to check it out! :)

      Delete
  5. I've heard nothing but good things about this place and I totally want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! It's one of the best by far!

      Delete