Fall Weekends

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

After spending every fall weekend so far either in a foreign country, sick, or partying it up at one of the four weddings we have on the books, it was so nice to have an entire weekend to ourselves. We spent all of Saturday hopping around from place to place checking off as many things on our fall bucket list as we could.

Our first stop was to Rock Hill Orchard for some apple picking. I feel like we were super late to the game on this one, so I was worried that there wouldn't be many apples left, but fortunately for us, they had just opened sections of their orchard that contained my favorite varieties! I can't wait to bake up some tasty pies!



After we had eaten at least half a dozen apples and filled up our 20 pound bag, we took a long scenic drive back to Baltimore, enjoying all of the changing leaves along the way. It's amazing how everything changes so suddenly once the air starts getting a little crisper. To me, after being away for two weeks, it felt like coming home to this magical fall wonderland. All the bright reds, oranges, and yellows - gah, I can't get enough!

When we got into the city, our first stop was The (first annual) Great Baltimore Oyster Festival! My friend Megan of Soup of the Day was part of the team that organized the event and they all did such a fantastic job! I was really looking forward to this event when she told me about it, not only get to enjoy some amazing oysters, beer, and live music, but also to get to see her and support the Waterfront Partnership of Baltimore, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, and the Healthy Harbor Initiative. The oysters were amazing and I hope that we get to go back again next year!





After the oyster fest, we walked over to Fells Point to enjoy a few hours of the Fells Point Fun Festival. This festival has been going on for years but somehow, we've never been before. The minute that we got there, we were amazed at the sheer size of the event. It covered just about the entire area of Fells. Up and down every street were tons of vendors selling the most amazing food, beer, arts and crafts. There were games to play at each of the bars (lots of cornhole) and three different stages with all kinds of different music. It was so much fun walking around, stuffing ourselves full of every snack we could imagine - from empanadas to Mexican street corn to grilled teriyaki chicken to funnel cake. It was amazing. We will most definitely be going back next year and bringing friends!




After the long day of walking (Mike's phone recorded a total of more than 15,000 steps!), we headed back home for a relaxing evening by the fire. While Mike built up the fire pit out back, I prepped some hot caramel apple cider (caramel vodka with warm apple cider - try it, you won't regret it) and s'mores with some of the chocolate I had brought back from Belgium.


At the end of the day, sitting there by the fire and hanging out just the two of us, we didn't realize just how much we needed some quality time together. It was fun running around to all of the fall festivals and just enjoying each other's company again. We've been getting so caught up in the rush of things, this easygoing fall Saturday was just what we needed.

4 comments:

  1. Aggghhh loved this post and not just because I got a shout out (thanks boo!). The photos in this post are killer and I'm super jealous of your apple picking. It's the one fall thing that I haven't had the time to do! This sounds like the perfect day and I'm so glad you and Mike were able to spend some quality time together enjoying the season. P.S. Is your grey jacket from H&M because if it is I have the same one in red ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha YES IT IS from H&M! I absolutely love it too :)

      And thank you so much! I know I've said this a million times, but really, the oyster fest was awesome! I hope you all do it again next year!

      Delete
  2. You and Mike had the best Maryland weekend! I am so glad you were able to go to the oyster fest and Fells Fest! I have only been to Fells Fest twice, once when I was really little and 2 years ago when I worked the beer garden. I need to go and actually enjoy it next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally go again! I will be back next year for sure! It was a blast!

      Delete