Paris, je t'aime.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

If you follow me on Instagram, it's no secret that my new favorite place in the world is none other than the beautiful city of Paris.

When I was lucky enough to score another trip to Belgium for two weeks for work earlier this month, I couldn't wait to book my train ticket to spend the weekend in the greatest city in France. Unfortunately, Mike couldn't go with me on this trip, but when I return to Europe again in January, there is no doubt he will be in the seat right next to me! 

On our first morning there, we had a quick breakfast at the hotel which consisted of the most amazing croissants I have ever tasted and a ton of coffee since we knew it would be a long day. From The Louvre, to Notre Dame, to the Eiffel Tower, and back, my co-worker and I tried to hit as many of the major sights as possible before lunch. Our feet were pretty much falling off from all of the walking we did but it was so, so worth it. We quickly realized that the metro system is quite easy to navigate, so on our next trip there, we will definitely be using it as our main method of transportation around the city. 


We spent most of the afternoon wandering through the Tuileries Garden, stopping for crepes drenched in Nutella, strolling up and down the Seine with crisp, yellow leaves falling all around us, and then down the Champs-Élysées to the Arc de Triomphe. 

Somehow, just when I thought Paris couldn't get more beautiful, it would turn right around and blow me away. Each one of the landmarks that we visited was significantly more beautiful than the last. Seeing Paris from the top of the Arc de Triomphe was probably my favorite moment of the entire weekend. It was absolutely stunning and totally worth the climb up the tiny spiral staircase. 


My second favorite moment was most definitely seeing Monet's Nymphéas (better known as the water-lily paintings) at Musée de l'Orangerie. I've wanted to see these paintings since I learned about them years ago and they did not at all disappoint. They were spectacular and I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning getting to sit and admire them as Monet intended.


We dined that evening at a restaurant on the Seine with a clear view of Notre Dame and Sainte Chapelle. The mussels I had were absolutely out of this world, but of course that could just be the wine talking. ;)

The next morning, we were up early and headed straight to the market shops along Fauborg Saint-Denis to hunt down some goodies (read: all the wines and baguettes) to take home.

Much to our surprise we found ourselves among the hustle and bustle of the local shoppers snagging deals on fruit, meat, and cheese on their Sunday morning trips. It was so neat to hear the competing cries of the produce salesmen stationed across the street from one another, shouting out deals on strawberries, trying to win the attention of each patron passing by. I could only tell this was what they were doing because one of ten words I know in french (aside from the necessities like "merci" and "vin blanc") is "fraises" which means strawberries. If I could have figured out how to ask how much they were, I would have surely bought some, but since there was no sign and I was clearly a clueless American, I just watched instead.

We spent the remainder of the day relaxing at a local cafe, snacking on charcuterie and people watching. We were sad to leave, but as we boarded the train, I knew that soon enough, I would return again. Paris is truly the most magical place in the world and nothing can keep me away for long.

4 comments:

  1. This post, oh my gosh. I am almost in tears after reading this. I just miss Paris so much! Also- you totally beat me. It's been over 3 months since we were there and I have yet to post a single thing about our honeymoon :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's alright! I'm looking forward to seeing some more pictures when you do post though! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It really was! I just wish I could have stayed longer! Guess I'll just have to start planning the next trip haha

      Delete