101 Check-up

Friday, November 6, 2015

After stepping away from my blog for a few months, I realized the other day that I've also been neglecting my 101 list. Before the break, I used to strategize ways I could check things off and I really enjoyed planning the little trips and activities. Now that fall is here, I'm hoping to regroup and start knocking some out! There are so many incredible things to do in Maryland in the fall, so I've also updated the list a bit to make it easier for me to catch up. I know that's probably against the rules, but at this point, I'm so behind I just don't care. You can check out the list here if you'd like. And if you have no idea what a 101 list is, check out this post!

I took some time yesterday to review all of the goals I have left and I realized that I actually did accomplish a few since May! Here's a little re-cap:

1. Get some house plants. (And keep them alive)

I know this probably seems ridiculous to most people, but if you know me, you know that I have the absolute worst black thumb. I'm the type of girl that will buy a beautiful plant and put it in a pretty little pot and then somehow either forget that I did so entirely or over-water the poor little thing until it drowns. I've even killed succulents you guys. No, I'm not kidding and, yes, I'm extremely embarrassed to admit that. So that being said, I am so excited to be able to check this one off! For at least six months now, I've been able to keep THREE different plants alive indoors! One of which is a fern! That's not a succulent! YAY!

Here is the evidence. Look at these thriving babies!



2. Hike part of the Appalachian Trail.


Mike and I went for an amazing hike to Annapolis Rock off of the Appalachian Trail a few weeks back and it was glorious. That overlook at the top is so worth the 8 miles. We've talked many times before about what it would be like if we could take six months off from our jobs and hike the entire Appalachian trail from Georgia to Maine, but since we aren't made of money and we actually like our jobs, it looks like we'll just have to hike it in little pieces like this for now. If you're interested in hiking Annapolis Rock, I recommend using this guide.


3. Get a stamp on my passport.


While I've traveled outside of the U.S. several times before (to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean mostly) I've never gotten a fun stamp in my passport since I typically haven't flown out of the country. So when I landed in Brussels in August and the guy at customs laid the first one on my little book, I practically jumped for joy! I can now officially change my title to Laura Powell: World Traveler and I've got the stamps to prove it.


4. Try Indian food.


Somehow I also missed the boat on this one. It seems like everyone I know absolutely loves indian food but I had never tried it... until Belgium. Weird place to eat Indian food, I know, but the little restaurant we went to was AMAZING. I could seriously eat garlic naan and chicken tikka masala every day it was that good.


5. Clean out my closet and donate everything that doesn't fit.


While I don't have photo evidence of this one, I can say that I've very successfully completed it. After reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, I was inspired to get rid of all of the useless things I own - starting with my clothes. It's amazing how many things one can acquire that simply do not fit properly. I'm not really sure why I was ever hanging onto all of those old sweaters, shoes, and pairs of jeans but I am so glad they are gone and have possibly found new homes with people who fit into them much better than I do.

Well, that's it for now! Here's hoping I keep rolling through this list and knock out a few more before 2016 hits!


Joining Macy for her awesome 101 in 1001 link-up! Be sure to check out all of the other lists for inspiration on creating your own!

To Travel & Beyond

13 comments:

  1. I'll definitely be looking up Annapolis Rock. I love hiking on the Appalachian! Also, I recently clean out my closet as well and I was amazed at how much I got rid of ... more than half of my closet is gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great hike and not too insanely strenuous either! The overlook is the best part though, it's such a great view - especially in the fall!

      Delete
  2. I love your list!! I just went through all of it. You were able to check so many things off, you go girl!! I am "announcing" a 101 in 1001 challenge and link-up on Monday. I am so excited to use your list as inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOMEEE! Thank you so much Macy, I'm heading over there to check it out now! :)

      Delete
  3. Girlfriend I feel you on the plant thing. You know what though- I think succulents are actually harder to keep alive because a normal plant reacts to too much water or not enough, I don't understand when/if I'm supposed to water a succulent? Mine dried out. So gross. Yay for donating clothing and items that you aren't wearing. I realllllly need to do that. But recently I had a situation where I needed that random article of clothing that I had worn twice and was kicking myself for donating it...maybe I'll wait a little bit longer. I will be a tourist with you in DC, be a tourist in Baltimore, and learn to make sushi (Chris' roommate is a sushi chef and said he'd show me, potential blate idea?!). Girl I see you with #73 ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true! I think I have a hard time figuring out the balance. Sometimes I treat them like regular plants and end up watering them too much or sometimes I'm like "Oh, hey, they're succulents, they'll survive on only a little water every once in a while" and they end up dead no matter what! But seriously, let's go run around all the awesome cities and play tourist! :) And that is a FABULOUS idea for an upcoming blate! I'm in!

      Delete
  4. Good job on crossing some things off your list! I'm impressed with your plants. I killed a succulent once. A SUCCULENT. I thought a monkey could keep one of those alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know the feeling! And thank you! I hope I can keep it going!

      Delete
  5. I tried commenting so many times it's not even funny. But my comments won't show up. I won't give up! haha But I'm terrible at lists. I have no patience to wait until I accomplish things. If it's written down it's like a dare. So I don't feel happy and accomplished until all items are crossed off - immediately! It looks like you're doing great with yours. I'm honestly the destroyer of plants. 99% of them in my house are fake. I do have a bonsai that's doing exceptionally well, so fingers crossed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh no! Well I'm glad it finally showed up! And thank you, I'm just hoping I can actually get close to finishing by the time July rolls around. We'll see how far I get! Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. We went on a cruise to the Bahamas and were kind of bummed we didn't get that stamp! haha, you're so official now. I definitely used your list for some inspiration, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem :) Thanks for checking it out! And yes! I feel even cooler now since I've now been to Belgium twice and I've got FOUR stamps! Haha!

      Delete
  7. So exciting that you finally got a stamp in your passport! I'm excited to finally get one when we head over to Europe next year!

    ReplyDelete