Garlic Herb Spaghetti Squash

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

So if you follow me on Instagram, you probably saw the other night that I was making spaghetti squash and trying desperately to hide it from my husband. Why? Mike absolutely hates squash in all forms but he hasn't really ever had spaghetti squash, so I was trying to make it behind his back. I kept referring to it as "spaghetti vegetable" instead so that maybe he wouldn't know the difference.

Well, unfortunately, he figured it out pretty quickly but by some miracle he actually liked it!

Most of the time, if there's an ingredient (almost always a vegetable) that Mike doesn't like, I have to find creative ways to hide it in whatever dish I'm making. If he doesn't know it's there, he doesn't complain. So far, my little strategy has been working pretty well.

It's kind of hard to hide spaghetti squash though, so I sort of went in the opposite direction with disguising this one. Instead of chopping it up really small and putting it into something else like a soup or a casserole, I decided to find a recipe that added a bunch of other flavors to transform the taste of the dish itself. That way, I could enjoy my beloved squash and Mike would be none the wiser.

Enter, Garlic Herb Spaghetti Squash.

[via]

I found this recipe on Pinterest but it originally came from Pinch of Yum. The minute I saw all the herbs, nuts, cheese, and spices blended together up there in spaghetti squash goodness, I knew it was the one for me.

Ingredients
medium spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
olive oil
kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil (sage is also yummy)
¾ cup shredded Gruyère cheese 
½ cup pine nuts, toasted (I ended up using walnuts because I didn't have pine nuts on hand)
black pepper

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Rub squash with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes, until fork tender. Let cool about 10 minutes, then scrape the insides with a fork to pull the strands away from the skin. 

2. In a large skillet, heat 2½ tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1½ minutes, until fragrant. Stir in spaghetti squash, vinegar, herbs, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for about 2 minutes to heat through. Remove from heat and stir in Gruyère cheese, then top with pine nuts. Taste and add salt or pepper if desired.

4 comments:

  1. AGGHHH so excited to make this! I'm going to attempt it next week. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to! It's sooooo tasty! Let me know how it goes :)

      Delete
  2. UM OKAY YES. Gluten-free, vegetarian and easily made dairy-free. Thanks for dinner tonight, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about you when I was making it! I was like, Annie would love this! :)

      Delete